Homepage Forums Story, Art, Song, Self Expression T-shirt designers unite and take over

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #2033
    AvatarGlenn Millam
    Member

    OK… Here are the the long awaited, promised reworkings of the main t-shirt design for black t-shirts.

    Why the rework? Because the printing process for black t-shirts is different than for light or white t-shirts. CafePress puts a layer of white down before they print the color. If they didn’t, the t-shirt would look like it had an interestingly-shaped coffee stain on it. Because of this white layer, the original design would look like it printed in an ugly white box. So I had to come up with something else made of hard edges. This is what I came up with. In fact, I came up with two variants.

    What I did was to take the original design and kind of go back to the original thumbnail that you see in the first page of posts. I kind of made a logo out of the starburst. In the first variant, the streaks all have solid colors, but they use 4 different tints to create variation. In the second variant, I used 4 different radial blends to create a smoother, yet varying, starburst.

    The hardest part (after finally coming up with the starburst structure) was the type and reaction diagrams. As you can tell, the starburst is very busy, and the type on top of it wants to get lost. I stroked and shadowed it heavily. Each version has a different take on how I handled the problem. Please comment on what you feel works best.

    And please hurry, as we need to get this design a CafePress pronto, so people can order it for the holidays. 🙂

    Attached files

    #2034
    AvatarGlenn Millam
    Member

    And here is the second variant I spoke of.

    Attached files

    #2035
    AvatarJolly Roger
    Member

    #2 is much easier to read, at least on my TV screen (MSNTV).

    #2036
    AvatarGlenn Millam
    Member

    Yeah, overall, I think I like the second design best. But I’m not the ones that are gonna buy all of them. Doing this in the forum is kind of like working with a focus group (pardon the pun).

    #2042
    AvatarRezwan
    Member

    Go ahead and upload # 2. It looks great! I like the strange patterns of # 1 as well, but it’s hard to read “it’s closer than you think.” – That needs to be filled in. Anyway, simpler is probably better, so let’s stick with 2.

    Thanks so much!

    #2043

    I love the new design for black t-shirts. Any idea when it will be uploaded to Cafe Press? I’d like to buy some for Christmas, but I’ve been waiting for the black t-shirt design to become available.

    #2044
    AvatarAaronB
    Member

    Can I get a smaller yellow peace sign (4 inch diameter) on the front-left breast of the black shirt? If so, I’ll place my order. Thanks.

    #2045

    Dude, you are high maintenance. Which black shirt? (find the one you want on cafepress and copy the url. There are short sleeve, long sleeve, etc.) And the yellow peace sign isn’t designed for black, so it will be in a white square, you realize. But we can, in fact, put the same design in the pocket location with no problem.

    #2047

    Skimming the CafePress site, I must admit that I would be more inclined to buy the clothing if they had the small left-pocket layout, instead of the full-sized one.

    #2048

    Glenn, is it possible to revisit the “original” purple color and see if the CMYK colors can be tweaked? It seems odd to me that Red, Yellow, Green, and Blue can work just fine, yet a Deep / Dark Magenta color doesn’t come out right; I mean… Magenta is one of the primary pigments.

    I find myself attached to that color: it could be the X-rays connection… but it’s more likely first impression.

    #2049

    I’d be happy with the new design placed just like the other shirts are placed. Here’s an example t-shirt.

    David

    #2050

    Glenn! The hordes are restless for their black T-shirt design. Upload/fire when ready.

    David, the link you put goes to a shirt that has a long vertical rectangle design, but that is the design itself. Our designs are all squares, so it will only be a square that covers/is centered in the whole shirt or a square in the pocket.

    At some point we could use a design that’s a wide rectangle. This would come in handy for bumper stickers, too. It being the holidays, I don’t know if anyone has time to whip such a design like that up right now.

    #2051
    AvatarGlenn Millam
    Member

    Admin wrote: Glenn! The hordes are restless for their black T-shirt design. Upload/fire when ready.

    David, the link you put goes to a shirt that has a long vertical rectangle design, but that is the design itself. Our designs are all squares, so it will only be a square that covers/is centered in the whole shirt or a square in the pocket.

    At some point we could use a design that’s a wide rectangle. This would come in handy for bumper stickers, too. It being the holidays, I don’t know if anyone has time to whip such a design like that up right now.

    Just uploaded the design. My broadband was out this weekend… in fact, my mail is still down. (Thank god for Yahoo Mail.) While I was there I bought me a hooded sweatshirt. I bought the blue fusion design (I just liked it better, for some reason.) Can’t wait ’til it gets here!

    #2052
    AvatarGlenn Millam
    Member

    Charles Wilcox wrote: Glenn, is it possible to revisit the “original” purple color and see if the CMYK colors can be tweaked? It seems odd to me that Red, Yellow, Green, and Blue can work just fine, yet a Deep / Dark Magenta color doesn’t come out right; I mean… Magenta is one of the primary pigments.

    I find myself attached to that color: it could be the X-rays connection… but it’s more likely first impression.

    I’m working on it. I do love that original design. There MUST BE A WAY!

    Give me a few days though. Work is killing me at the moment. Hopefully next weekend will bring more goodies, including design adaptations for more products.

    #2054

    AaronB wrote: Can I get a smaller yellow peace sign (4 inch diameter) on the front-left breast of the black shirt? If so, I’ll place my order. Thanks.

    OK, take a look at this: http://www.cafepress.com/focusfusion.91932229 It’s a 4 inch image, but the circle is smaller than 4″ diameter. Maybe I should scale up to 6 inches (the standard they suggest). Also, as mentioned, it looks funny on black. A little white square.

    Aside from that, the Black t-s are up. Check it out: http://www.cafepress.com/focusfusion/2201904 Again, the small ones are 4″, but they can be smaller, or bigger, up to 6″.

    It’s as if there’s an infinite number of options here. Also, do we need a design on the back of these black T-shirts, because we don’t have art for that.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.