The Focus Fusion Society Forums Dense Plasma Focus (DPF) Science and Applications minimal size device for focus fusion to work?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    cccccttttt
    Participant

Have seen descriptions of the focus fusion device as the size of a coffee can.

Why has this size been chosen?

If the device were designed much smaller, which inputs do not scale down?

There may be unseen advantages at working at a significantly smaller scale.

ct

Jolly Roger
    Participant

cccccttttt wrote: Have seen descriptions of the focus fusion device as the size of a coffee can.

Why has this size been chosen?

If the device were designed much smaller, which inputs do not scale down?

The Research Plan

https://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/article/research_plan/

mentions in general terms experimenting with the size of the electrodes to find the optimum size for focus fusion.

That will be one of the most time-consuming phases of the project.

Though scaling down might be good for the reactor vessel, scaling up might be better for the auxiliary equipment such as capacitors, switches, decelerators, etc. (Economies of Scale)

cccccttttt
    Participant

Have a friend who works on Z-pinch and they have similar issues with their “bird cage” designs.

They have lots of shots to get things right, but its still an ongoing problem.

ct

Transmute
    Participant

Also consider the size of the shielding needed, cooling systems, the decelerators/linear generators and the giant capacitors and high-powered electronics needed to run the things. Even if the reactor it self

Brian H
    Participant

20m? AFAIK, the solenoid is quite short. The field strength of the coil’s resistance can be very high, obviating the need for long decelerators, I b’lieve. But I can’t recall seeing any data on this.

Zara
    Participant

Electron being the most stable massive structure at least in our vicinity, I assume that electron mass defines Kolmgorov length as G/c^2 * m electron- which is the same as its Swarzhield radius (factor 2) . Such a vortex is inside electron.

Next, I assume based on observed stability of galaxy rotation curve speed, that the speed of rotation of Kolmogorov vortex outer edge at Kolmogorov lenght, l planck > L kolmogorov and L compton is c. Which also coincides with Zitterbewegnung.

This means that speed of Kolmogorov vortex = Kolmogorov speed is c.

Kolmogorov has derived some formulas for turbulence that work almost everywhere, especially in superfluid turbulence:

Kolmogorov speed = c= ( viscosity* energy dissipation per mass unit )^1/4
    Kolmogorov lenght= (viscosity^3/energy dissipation/mass)^1/4

From these 2 one can find Kolmogorov time = Kolmgorov length/kolmogorov speed= ( viscosity/energy dissipation rate) ^1/2

If we put in all numbers, with a factor of 2pi this leads to following values:

Kolmogorov length = 6,76*10-58 m
    Kolmogorov speed= c
    Kolmogorov time = (G/c^3) * m electron = 2,25* 10-66 sec
    Kolmogorov frequency = c^3/G*melectron = 4,43*10E 65 1/s
    Energy of dissipation per mass unit = c^5/(2*pi*G*m e)= 0,063 *10E84 J/kg
    Viscosity of Aehter – 127* 10-50 m^2/s = h ( maybe) / m inertial Aether
    And if we move little further, we find that:

energy dissipation rate/mass unit = c^4/viscosity = c^5/(2*pi*G*m e) =* 0,396/2*pi* 10^84 ( m^2/s^3) =1/2*pi * (Power planck/m e *)

so this dissipation rate of Aether equals Planck power dissipated over
    electron mass, or , Power needed to maintain stable electron mass size
    particle in our Universe.

we can also construct acceleration as:

a=c^3/viscosity = c/T = c^4/2*pi*G*m e = 1/2*pi * F planck/ me = 2,116*10^73
    (m/s^2)
    We may ask what is the relation between electron rest mass energy equivalent
    E=m e c^2 and Planck power dissipated from aether into physical space to
    sustain it?

From above, P planck = (c^4*m e * 2 pi )/viscosity, E= me c^2, so

E=m *c^2/P planck will give us time during which Planck power has to be dissipated
    to maintain electron rest mass energy equivalent. If we do the math,

E/P planck= viscosity* me c^2/ c^4* me* 2 pi = 1/2pi viscosity/c^2 (s)

but viscosity/c^2 is exactly the definition of of a Kolmogorov time, or period of
    the smallest Aether eddie.

so again ( taking care of 2*pi later) we can say that Planck power is
    dissipated from Aehter to physical world to maintain stable electron mass
    during every 1 rotation of the smallest Aether eddy which has radius =
    Kolmogorov length of liquid Aether = me G/c^2.

viscosity /c^2 for Aether is *14,17* 10-66 sec*.

So with frequency 1/2pi * 4,43 * 10^65 1/s = 1/2pi* c^3/(G me ) Planck
    power ( 3,628*10^52 W) is pumped in from Aether in the form of information via electron shape to maintain its form and gravitational mass and is
    the reason for rest mass /energy equivalence me c^2 = 8,188E-14 J = 0,511
    MeV.

Gravity is a Polymer Peptide which communicates Order throughout the Universal Organism.

Aether Wave is inherently hormonal, and the regulatory observation mechanism that allows the fabric of space-time to remain coherent, desires a cognitive faculty which ‘Feels’ through ‘Feedback Loops’ the information being conveyed by the physiological make-up of a self-organized system which is inter-locked through hyper-dimensional wormholes which are recursively entrained inside string membranes of infinite progressions of Delta Wave dream mental process’s which are linked to the ‘source specie’ of all creation(about 1/2 step before the Aleph/Zero Plasma Matrix of Imagination).

— ———————-

This is pulled from a reply I gave to another site that was questioning these sorts of questions. It was called physorg though they steal your research then throw you off their boards while talking with the foremost renouned scientists in the world when you give China a piece of ice in their glass before giving them a drink. These are some very interesting topics to understand when understanding what exactly it is you are working with and the size of what you would need to make this a reality. There is a new nanotech firm going in town with a bunch of grants maybe someone will pick up on the science.

Brian H
    Participant

aether? hormonal? Zara, you are so off-topic and out of it that words fail me.

Brian H
    Participant

Brian H wrote: 20m? AFAIK, the solenoid is quite short. The field strength of the coil’s resistance can be very high, obviating the need for long decelerators, I b’lieve. But I can’t recall seeing any data on this.

Here’s a link, showing the entire rig as about 9′ long; I estimate the coils at about 3′.
    http://www.lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.com/Fusion_product.htm

JimmyT
    Participant

Minimal size does seem to be about semi-trailer size. This is when you include the necessary shielding, support equipment etc.
    So, no autos or motorbikes runing on dense plasma focus. Probably a locomotive is about the smallest device to be powered by them. …….. Or is it?

So far we have only been considering DPF’s burning hydrogen and boron. I wonder if a DPF burning Helium-3 and hydrogen truely might be coffee can size? It is an aneutronic reaction.

I know. I know. Helium-3 doesn’t exist on earth. But if space really does open up due to the availability of Hydrogen Boron DPF; Then maybe moon harvested Helium-3 is a possibility. Great miles per gallon.

Any of you fellow geeks want to take a stab at this one?

Brian H
    Participant

Jimmy;
    What’s the situation with X-ray cooling on the H3 path?

JimmyT
    Participant

Well, since x-ray emissions are proportional to the square of the nuclear charge. It would be 4/25 of the emissions with boron, or about one sixth.
    I am pretty sure that this reaction has a significantly lower ignition temperature than hydrogen-boron too.

Jolly Roger
    Participant

So, the P-He3 reaction would require 1/6 the shielding, reducing the weight and size of the reactor. That doesn’t do anything for the capacitors or decelerators.

Maybe we can put these FF’s in planes, trucks and buses (and RV’s), but so far, not cars, PC’s or wristwatches.

Brian H
    Participant

Jolly Roger wrote: So, the P-He3 reaction would require 1/6 the shielding, reducing the weight and size of the reactor. That doesn’t do anything for the capacitors or decelerators.

Maybe we can put these FF’s in planes, trucks and buses (and RV’s), but so far, not cars, PC’s or wristwatches.

Right now, H3 is unobtainium. A wee detour to mine the Moon still has to be completed. 😆

Jolly Roger
    Participant

Brian H wrote: Right now, H3 is unobtainium. A wee detour to mine the Moon still has to be completed. 😆

I think you mean He3, as H3 is tritium, and though somewhat rare, is not as unobtainable as He3. I do understand that He3 is not currently obtainable. But when it does become obtainable, it will then be possible to downsize the FF reactor shielding. As that will be a few years from now, perhaps the electrical components will have been downsized as well. Then small applications, such as cars, might become possible.

JimmyT
    Participant

Damm! I wanted one of those wrist watches.

By the way, though. Any time you are talking about reducing shielding thickness in a roughly spherical device you have to cube that factor to get the reduction in mass and volume. So, 0ne-sixth cubed is 1/216th of the mass and volume.

I think most of the shielding in a hydrogen-boron DPF is for protection from the side reaction neutrons. Not the x-rays. The fusion reaction Helium-3 + Hydrogen is actually more correctly stated as Helium-3 + Deuterium which yields Helium-4 (which is an alpha particle) and a Proton.
    The side reaction Deuterium + Deuterium sometimes produces tritium and a proton, and sometimes produces helium-3 and a neutron. A fairly high energy one at that. I haven’t seen the statistical frequency of these side reactions. But I haven’t looked that hard for them either.

So I’m not sure about the actual 1/6th reduction in shielding thickness. Might not be do-able.

I don’t know how to use the quote thing. Could one of you guys direct me on where to go for instructions on that?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.