Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Transmute
    Participant

Al never claimed to have invented the Internet:

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Brian H
    Participant

Transmute wrote: Al never claimed to have invented the Internet:

Snopes? Double check anything they say. They’re a retired couple with an agenda. No special sources or credibility.

Phil’s Dad
    Participant

I stand corrected. :red: Indeed he did not say he “invented” it only that he “created” it. Not the same thing.
    “And God invented the Earth” doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Transmute
    Participant

Brian H wrote:

Snopes? Double check anything they say. They’re a retired couple with an agenda. No special sources or credibility.

let me get this straight, if I said X did not not say Y, and I find reference for it, your response is “well they are just biased”? So if i say “2+2=4” your response is “well the mathematicians are just biased” even a child can say 2+2=4 and has no special source or credibility, well if your so inclined then prove to me 2+2 =/= 4 then, while your at it show me where and when Al Gore (the bore) said he invented the internet!

Rematog
    Participant

In either case, All Al did is co-sponsor enabling legislation…. that’s a long way from create, invent, install, etc. He was just another pol claiming credit for what scientists and engieers were doing. He just got the law out of our way.

“God wanted to chastise mankind, so he sent lawyers”
    Russian Proverb

Transmute
    Participant

Rematog wrote: In either case, All Al did is co-sponsor enabling legislation…. that’s a long way from create, invent, install, etc. He was just another pol claiming credit for what scientists and engieers were doing. He just got the law out of our way.

“God wanted to chastise mankind, so he sent lawyers”
    Russian Proverb

True. but if him and other legislators of the the “Atari Democrat” class in the late 1970’s and early 80’s had not done so then quite possible the Internet would still be ARPANET and still be a function of DARPA and we would not be talking now. Gore deserves some thanks for being a technocrat and lobbying for engineering achievements.

Brian H
    Participant

Transmute wrote:

let me get this straight, if I said X did not not say Y, and I find reference for it, your response is “well they are just biased”? So if i say “2+2=4” your response is “well the mathematicians are just biased” even a child can say 2+2=4 and has no special source or credibility, well if your so inclined then prove to me 2+2 =/= 4 then, while your at it show me where and when Al Gore (the bore) said he invented the internet!
    I wasn’t making any comment about Gore, just warning you and anyone else not to treat Snopes as an authority.
    Do your own cross-checking.

The Snopes summary has most of the facts, but it’s heavily larded with opinions and evaluations, too. The default assumption must be that any article with such content has persuasion as its goal, not informing or fact-checking. Fact-selection, aka gatekeeping, is potent mind-control.

Transmute
    Participant

for crying out loud it was the first hit in a Google search, their are tons of other sources if snoopes so bothers you! Of course if is not primary research and not worth squat, but this is an Internet forum and is worth even less.

Brian H
    Participant

Transmute wrote: for crying out loud it was the first hit in a Google search, their are tons of other sources if snoopes so bothers you! Of course if is not primary research and not worth squat, but this is an Internet forum and is worth even less.

For squawking out loud, you were the one who used Snopes as an authority for your assertion, and I indicated that while they are often taken to be some kind of elaborate research and fact-checking organization, they are anything but.

As far as Gore being a technocrat, he doesn’t have the chops for the ‘techno’ part, just the ‘crat’. He took 2 undergrad science courses and graded C+ and D. He was born and bred to wield power and money.

Alex Pollard
    Participant

Folks, it is very easy to create a new thread rather than go way off-topic.

Transmute
    Participant

Brian H wrote:

for crying out loud it was the first hit in a Google search, their are tons of other sources if snoopes so bothers you! Of course if is not primary research and not worth squat, but this is an Internet forum and is worth even less.

For squawking out loud, you were the one who used Snopes as an authority for your assertion, and I indicated that while they are often taken to be some kind of elaborate research and fact-checking organization, they are anything but.

and your the one that bitching about it in a red haring, instead of admitting the fact the Gore never said that.

As far as Gore being a technocrat, he doesn’t have the chops for the ‘techno’ part, just the ‘crat’. He took 2 undergrad science courses and graded C+ and D. He was born and bred to wield power and money.

So, Einstein was not exactly good at math either, what your point? Technocrat is a ideology, anyone can believe in an ideology, no matter background.

Brian H
    Participant

Transmute wrote:

and your the one that bitching about it in a red haring, instead of admitting the fact the Gore never said that.

So, Einstein was not exactly good at math either, what your point? Technocrat is a ideology, anyone can believe in an ideology, no matter background.
    As long as we’re chopping logic, actually:
    Technocracy is a movement and ideology, advocating rule by technocrats, or
    Government by experts.

A technocrat is either an expert member of a highly skilled group in an official position of power, or
    An advocate of technocracy. (Usually capitalized in this use, as in “Technocrat, a follower of Technocracy”.
    ________

Converting to DC will never happen except in very narrow local situations, as changing voltages is such a hassle. You must either transmit long distance at high voltage, unusable by the customer, or ultra-high amperage, which vaporizes the transmission lines.

Rezwan
    Participant

Alex Pollard wrote: Folks, it is very easy to create a new thread rather than go way off-topic.

Thanks Alex!

Transmute
    Participant

I find the thread title as a insult to me, I’m not a fan of al gore, I was simply denounce a mis-truth. Say what you want about George Bush Jr. But if you claim he did not help thousand if not millions of Africans in aid then your wrong.

Brian H wrote:

As long as we’re chopping logic, actually:
    Technocracy is a movement and ideology, advocating rule by technocrats, or
    Government by experts.

A technocrat is either an expert member of a highly skilled group in an official position of power, or
    An advocate of technocracy. (Usually capitalized in this use, as in “Technocrat, a follower of Technocracy”.
    ________

Converting to DC will never happen except in very narrow local situations, as changing voltages is such a hassle. You must either transmit long distance at high voltage, unusable by the customer, or ultra-high amperage, which vaporizes the transmission lines.

I don’t see how that countered what I said previously, thank you for agreeing with me then.

JimmyT
    Participant

Ding dong Cap & Trade seems dead. For now anyway. At least the Copenhagen rendition of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.