The Focus Fusion Society Forums Focus Fusion Cafe TriAlpha and beam directed fusion

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    rashidas
    Participant

I read on the internet about a method of using 2 beams of boron and deuterium nuclei to prouce fusion reactions, not unlike the method promoted by focus fusion. To learn more google Tri Alpha. Is this for real or another scam?

JimmyT
    Participant

You should watch Eric’s Google video. In it he talks about TriAlpha and their attempts at controlled fusion. Their attempts are not a scam, but in my humble opinion, they haven’t a prayer of success.

In his video Eric displays in a graph the progress of the various attempts at fusion. One of the results he displays is TriAlpha’s result.

The graph he uses has been a standard method of displaying fusion progress for decades. On the vertical axis is temperature and on the horizontal axis is the product of confinement time multiplied by density. In the upper right hand corner of this graph one could draw an area which is the envelope that defines the conditions necessary for sustained fusion. It is properly defined as an area rather than a discreet point because there are trade-offs which can be made. You can meet the necessary conditions with a little lower temperature if you have higher density, or longer confinement time, for example.

I think TriAlpha results will never get inside that envelope. Currently they aren’t even close.

I really don’t think that Dr Bussard was ever going to get inside that envelope either, much as I admired the man and his efforts.

And I have some doubt whether they are ever going to do so with Tokamaks either. At least not before Eric does, and certainly never on an economically competitive basis.

Tulse
    Participant

There’s a very brief, no-detail report that Tri-Alpha Will Show Off Fusion Technology Next Year. I’m sceptical of such a contentless rumour, but it does suggest the race is heating up.

Axil
    Participant
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.