The Focus Fusion Society Forums General Transition Issues The FF Stock Market Crash

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Rematog
    Participant

Brian H wrote:

The same may well apply to the culture of nihilism and anomie and condescending post-modern deconstructionism in the West.

Didn’t Plato say something like this?

Aeronaut
    Participant

Brian H wrote:

Look at any businesses that stand to gain from cheaper energy. Not many will loose [lose] catastrophically from fusion. Most are diversified and in fact may be heavily vested in fusion by the time it comes online.

I think it will be the oil-producing countries, rather than than corporations, that will take the hit when oil prices fall. Some have invested in natural infrastructure and production unrelated to oil; others have not. In many, all the money has gone to the ruling families so that the general population has gotten little. Some, like Mexico, are deep in debt. That will require democratization under adverse circumstances to pull them out of it by developing other resources.

Yes, read up on “The Devil’s Excrement” some time; it’s a term for oil invented by the first secretary general of OPEC–from Venuzuela, no less!! 😆
    Here’s a link to an article about S. Korea vs. the ME, and the relative payoffs of brains and effort vs. oil and sloth: South Korea.

The need to leverage and engage the interest and brains and initiative and effort of the young in oil-producing countries in productive enterprises is absolute. Perhaps FF will reduce the “barriers to entry” to enough fields that they will get constructively involved, rather than looking for stuff to rip and blow up.

The same may well apply to the culture of nihilism and anomie and condescending post-modern deconstructionism in the West.

To change at least one country’s entire culture is not an overnight process, no matter how well your PR/sales campaign is financed, planned, and executed. Changing attitudes about drunk driving and tobacco are two cases in point. Each has been in the works for over twenty years.

Be sure to watch for more sloth and luxury as energy prices fall. Just because people know about the Roman Empire’s fall doesn’t mean we’re immune to human nature- and history repeating itself over and over again.

Rematog
    Participant

Hurrah for sloth and luxury…..as long as it’s mine!

Rematog
    Participant

But, more seriously.

FF holds to promise of greatly increased material wealth for everyone….and in this case, that everyone means every human on planet earth.

Material wealth, don’t look down you nose at it!

Even if in the poorest areas of this planet that just means clean drinking water, sanitary sewers, elec. power for lighting, heating and cooking, cheaper food (lower cost for fertilizer and pumps for irrigation), affordable transportation, cheaper raw materials for homes, etc.

In other words, they will be able to achieve what we take for granted.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Rematog wrote: But, more seriously.

FF holds to promise of greatly increased material wealth for everyone….and in this case, that everyone means every human on planet earth.

Even if in the poorest areas of this planet that just means clean drinking water, sanitary sewers, elec. power for lighting, heating and cooking, cheaper food (lower cost for fertilizer and pumps for irrigation), affordable transportation, cheaper raw materials for homes, etc.

I agree with both posts, Rematog. Plumbing and draining the entire world is a very worthy investment of this new global wealth. Education and skills training come right behind it, imho. Sounds like making baby elephants in practice, though.

Brian H
    Participant

Aeronaut wrote:

But, more seriously.

I agree with both posts, Rematog. Plumbing and draining the entire world is a very worthy investment of this new global wealth. Education and skills training come right behind it, imho. Sounds like making baby elephants in practice, though.
    Take it easy with the draining, except for the sewers! Wetlands really are good, y’know. Best natural filters and biological nurseries going.

But also seriously, the net effective wealth point is what drives me in this. I think that people will experience an explosion of constructive creativity, given the opportunity. More South Koreas and Taiwans, fewer Saudi Arabias and Myanmars.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Yep, sewers are the drainage I had in mind. Hadn’t thought about the building boom, but it makes perfect sense to expect a big haphazard one like you’re predicting.

Brian H
    Participant

Aeronaut wrote: Yep, sewers are the drainage I had in mind. Hadn’t thought about the building boom, but it makes perfect sense to expect a big haphazard one like you’re predicting.

I wasn’t being quite so literal in using “constructive”, more along the lines of initiating economic, scientific, artistic, and lifestyle improvements in general. A little water in an apparent desert can achieve miracles.

Rematog
    Participant

The perfect example of “a little water” is California’s central valley. Irrigation turned a dry cattle ranching area into one of the US’s best fruit and vegetable gardens. One bonus of FF is that the irrigation water can be run thru a reverse osmosis or other de-salination process, and avoid one problem with conventional irrigation using river or ground water….salt.

Brian H
    Participant

Rematog wrote: The perfect example of “a little water” is California’s central valley. Irrigation turned a dry cattle ranching area into one of the US’s best fruit and vegetable gardens. One bonus of FF is that the irrigation water can be run thru a reverse osmosis or other de-salination process, and avoid one problem with conventional irrigation using river or ground water….salt.

Yes, and water can even be pulled out of the air with condensation units. There should be lots of ways to provide water. But, again, I was speaking metaphorically. I’m just a metaphorical kind of guy, I guess!

Rematog
    Participant

Thats ok, I’m more of a mega-engineering kind…

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.