The Focus Fusion Society Forums Lawrenceville Plasma Physics Experiment (LPPX) Publication of 1.8 billion degree confinement set to confirm LPP's fusion lead

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Brian H
    Participant

vansig wrote: taking attention away from Rossi is actually kinda easy: don’t use nickel plate when you want to study bulk properties of nickel.

but i digress.

lots of people have answered, “i’ll wait for the peer-reviewed articles” and otherwise look away, as though *any* new technology for power generation has about the same credibility as perpetual motion machine. “if this were true, they would already have won the nobel prize” is another easy dismissal.

In direct contravention of Alfred Nobel’s wishes, the Prize is awarded for past achievements already tested, replicated, and accepted. It was intended to go to new, cutting edge, high-potential unproven explorers. The Iron Law Of Bureaucracy took over quickly, tho’. The administrators and paper pushers pushed paper that papered over the goals and purpose of the awards in favour of institutionalizing their admin processes as the only guidelines.

jimmarsen
    Participant

It looks like the paper was published online today.

Duke Leto
    Participant

Dumb question:

Has LPPX now achieved Proof of Concept?

wolfram
    Participant

Proof of some concepts. To verify it could be a useful power source it would require holding onto a certain concentration of ions at certain temperatures for certain time periods, reliably.

They’ve shown they can heat enough ions very reliably, they need to verify their theories on containment.

zapkitty
    Participant

Duke Leto wrote: Dumb question:

Has LPPX now achieved Proof of Concept?

Which concept? 🙂

More seriously…

Each particular milestone reached represents further evidence in favor of the concepts behind FF but, as I understand it, the goal for LPPX-1 is to demonstrate the scientific feasibility of boron fusion as a power source.

That would move it from the “wholly theoretical” stage to the point where building an actual generator really would be “just a matter of engineering.”

Status? Seems to be a case of so far, so good. They are making definite progress and are setting records as they do so.

But they have a ways to go yet in order to reach their particular goal.

Duke Leto
    Participant

I return to my eternal slumber!

Wake me when something changes…

zapkitty
    Participant

Duke Leto wrote: I return to my eternal slumber!

Wake me when something changes…

Things have changed. Records set, even.

But if the endgame is what you are waiting for then I believe LPP has said that it will announce it when they start using boron in tests.

And then they’re likely to go quiet in advance of publication of results.

Hopefully, those will be successful results 🙂

Duke Leto
    Participant

Can’t hear!

Busy sleeping.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.