The Focus Fusion Society Forums Lawrenceville Plasma Physics Experiment (LPPX) Publication of 1.8 billion degree confinement set to confirm LPP's fusion lead

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    wolfram
    Participant

This is delightful, we should have a party! How bout a rousing game of diplomacy to destroy the community cohesion we so enjoy?
    edit: BTW, who do we have to talk to about getting an advance copy of the article? I’d like to peruse it and talk with some of the faculty here at U of Iowa.

Rezwan
    Participant

This thread was posted by Matt M but switched over to me upon linking to the blog. Apologies to Matt! – RR

HOT! Acceptance of latest results to Physics of Plasmas confirms tiny energy start-up way out in front in fusion race

One point eight billion degrees. Yes, that’s billion with a “b,” which can also stands for “big bold breakthrough” in the quest to commercialize an unlimited clean energy source. LPP’s team received word February 27th that our achievement of fusion reactions from ions confined at energies equivalent to over 1.8 billion degrees C was accepted by Physics of Plasmas, “the most highly cited journal devoted fully to plasma physics.”

http://lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.com/index.php?option=com_lyftenbloggie&view=entry&year=2012&month=02&day=27&id=57:hot-publication-of-18-billion-degree-confinement-set-to-confirm-lpps-fusion-lead&Itemid=90

Rezwan
    Participant

Congratulations LPP! “b” is for brilliant!

Hey Matt! Sorry about usurping your post. It seems that when I link the forum post to an article, it attributes that first post to me. Very annoying. I brought it up on the expression engine forums. (“b” is for bugs!)

Rezwan
    Participant

wolfram wrote: This is delightful, we should have a party! How bout a rousing game of diplomacy to destroy the community cohesion we so enjoy?
    edit: BTW, who do we have to talk to about getting an advance copy of the article? I’d like to peruse it and talk with some of the faculty here at U of Iowa.

Yes! Party time! We’re long overdue! Who wants to meet in NYC or NJ (Princeton? Rutgers?)

Matt M
    Participant

I am okay with your switching the post. The more people who see it the merrier.

A LOT (and I mean a lot) of really smart people thought LPP would NEVER come close
    to this achievement. God Speed to the whole team. The development of practical
    aneutronic fusion would be a boon for all mankind.

Tulse
    Participant

Is this the first peer-reviewed publication to come from FF-1?

I really hope this opens the door for more funding — getting a peer-reviewed article on such a fundamental aspect of one’s device really separates this effort from all the tinkering wannabes.

(And on that note, what is the publication record for the other alt.fusion efforts? Polywell? Tri-Alpha? General Fusion?)

Henning
    Participant

No, Focus-Fusion-1 has already been published in the “Journal of Fusion Energy”: Theory and Experimental Program for p-B11 Fusion with the Dense Plasma Focus

But it’s the first one that’s published peer reviewed with fusion reactions > 100keV.

Henning
    Participant

What’s the record for plasma anyway?

The hottest machine I know is Sandia’s Z-Machine, reaching 1.8 milliard degrees Kelvin (that’s billion for you Americans). So about the same as Focus-Fusion-1, but by vaporizing tungsten wires.

So FuFo-1 has catched up to world record?

Other fusion efforts are way behind as far as I know.

Particle accelerators reach TeV, but they don’t count, because with them you can count every single particle (yawn!).

Henning
    Participant

The Z-Machine actually reached ion temperatures of over 200 keV (2.3 x 10^9 K). But that’s six years ago.

Tulse
    Participant

Henning wrote: Focus-Fusion-1 has already been published in the “Journal of Fusion Energy”

But I take it that [em]Physics of Plasmas[/em] is more prestigious (or at least has a much higher impact factor).

Matt M
    Participant

They are still debating whether the Sandia Z machine ever actually got to that temperature. And, I am sure that there
    will be those who are skeptical of FF’s achievement.

Brian H
    Participant

Matt M wrote: They are still debating whether the Sandia Z machine ever actually got to that temperature. And, I am sure that there
    will be those who are skeptical of FF’s achievement.

Repeated and controllable “shots” are the obvious counter to such skepticism; I have no doubt that will come soon.
    I can just imagine the reaction when the first pB11 data starts to come out …

benf
    Participant

Being peer reviewed will hopefully move attention away from Rossi (e-cat) and Mills (blacklight)….

vansig
    Participant

taking attention away from Rossi is actually kinda easy: don’t use nickel plate when you want to study bulk properties of nickel.

but i digress.

lots of people have answered, “i’ll wait for the peer-reviewed articles” and otherwise look away, as though *any* new technology for power generation has about the same credibility as perpetual motion machine. “if this were true, they would already have won the nobel prize” is another easy dismissal.

Ivy Matt
    Participant

I see the March issue has been posted. Is that the one?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.