The Focus Fusion Society Forums Plasma Cosmology and BBNH Oh my – Dark matter is under assault! (wherever it is)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mchargue
    Participant

Well, actually the idea that ‘missing mass’ constitutes a ‘proof’ that dark matter must exist is experiencing a little push-back.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-universe-not-so-missing-mass.html

Next up, ‘Dark Energy’…

Pat

Henning
    Participant

So we have it here again: filaments. Of a million degrees hot.

Formed by what? Gravity? Electrical fields? If it’s electrical fields, then it’s pretty much as Eric describes in BBNH.

Brian H
    Participant

Thor’s ziplines.

mchargue
    Participant

What’s also interesting about this research, and published results, is who did it.

I note that the research was done & published by a 22 year old student. Someone who is likely not already on the ‘dark matter’ band wagon, or whose reputation is tied to the theory. Someone who went where the research & facts lead him, as opposed to only pursuing results that confirm what everyone else knows to be true.

I consider the ability to question authority a strength is science, but worry that this case may also indicate a moribund situation in more senior research personnel. The evidence was, after all, there for millions of years in space, and a long time here on Earth as well.

Pat

EricF
    Participant

I’ve read through most of BBNH the past couple weeks, great book. I really wish someone like Neil de Grasse Tyson would have a Youtube exchange with one of the main proponents of Plasma Cosmology to discuss and debate the key points of contention. Concerning Dark Matter:

One of the arguments for Dark Matter is the uniform rotation of matter in a galaxy. Supposedly, due to the speed at which the outer portions of a galaxy must be traveling to keep up with the inner portions, the presence of dark matter is necessary to keep the galaxy from flinging itself apart. I can’t put my finger on it but that seems odd.

Why wouldn’t the dark matter also be flung out into space, as I would imagine it should also be rotating in sync with the rest of the galaxy? Why would the dark matter be distributed differently than the visible matter, and conveniently be spread out in just the right way to account for the rotation observed (the images I have seen show it to be a large blob that the galaxy sits in, rather than being shaped like the example galaxy with filaments radiating outward).

Is their guess for how quickly objects should be expected to rotate through the galaxy built upon other assumptions, such as how visible matter is distributed throughout the galaxy (centered around a super-massive black hole, yet another object we can’t see, but assume is there; for what reason I am unclear on).

I do recall from BBNH the plasma filament explanation for the shape of galaxies, but I don’t remember it addressing the rotation speed issue (if it does I’ll go back and reread. It may not have been an issue of debate at the time the book was authored I suppose).

vansig
    Participant

mchargue wrote: Well, actually the idea that ‘missing mass’ constitutes a ‘proof’ that dark matter must exist is experiencing a little push-back.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-universe-not-so-missing-mass.html

Next up, ‘Dark Energy’…

Pat

but it isn’t the “missing mass” that constitutes evidence for dark matter; it is observed astronomical phenomena like the Bullet Cluster.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_Cluster

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.