Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    mchargue
    Participant

I know that all are busy at your facility, but it would fill a great void if there was some more frequent news posted on the main page. Something to keep us all on the front lines with you, as it were. You have to know that a lot of fanboys show up here. I’d cultivate that, as it may give you something to turn to for support if something goes pear-shaped.

Best of luck to you all.

Pat

Breakable
    Keymaster

See http://twitter.com/focusfusion
    other than that you would have to buy membership.

Brian H
    Participant

Have there been any ‘shots’ since the 15th or so? That was 12 days ago.

Breakable
    Keymaster

I wish every shot was streamed live on the Internet, but I don’t think that in the best interest of LPP

Brian H
    Participant

Breakable wrote: I wish every shot was streamed live on the Internet, but I don’t think that in the best interest of LPP

Even a daily count, with a general comment or two, would be a big improvement. Considering that the production version will be running at 330 shots a second, the daily number shouldn’t be too big a task to reveal!!

Breakable
    Keymaster

I guess you would have to get membership to receive such information on short notice, otherwise the membership itself would not make sense.

Aeronaut
    Participant

I’m thinking more along the lines of a new years’ blurb saying something like “The primer paint is dried, now we’re beginning the top coat”.

DerekShannon
    Participant

It would be great to have more people formally join the Focus Fusion Society, but be sure to have realistic expectations in that to my knowledge there is no members-only treasure trove of secret updates. You *will* get the occasional e-mail newsletter, which tends to have articles that are also entries on the public website. Join because of all the great info and progress the whole world is getting!

Brian H
    Participant

The gaps are still huge. It’s now almost 3 weeks since the last post that was actually news. It’s apparently a matter of the perfect being the enemy of the good when it comes to updates.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Brian H wrote: The gaps are still huge. It’s now almost 3 weeks since the last post that was actually news. It’s apparently a matter of the perfect being the enemy of the good when it comes to updates.

Then you’re going to just love it when the next major variable is introduced into the testing matrix 😆

jamesr
    Participant

Although this site has close ties with LLP it should not be thought of as a fly on the was of a research lab.

For any quality scientific research, whether by a private company or academic institution, I believe it is right and proper for any substantive developments to be first published at a recognized conference or peer reviewed journal.

While it is interesting to debate and inform a wider community of the science and technology behind focus fusion through this society and its forums. In particular because there are contributors such as Eric himself to enlighten and correct comments made on aspects of the theory and design. We should not expect shot by shot updates of LLP’s ongoing research.

Aeronaut
    Participant

jamesr wrote: Although this site has close ties with LLP it should not be thought of as a fly on the was of a research lab.

For any quality scientific research, whether by a private company or academic institution, I believe it is right and proper for any substantive developments to be first published at a recognized conference or peer reviewed journal.

While it is interesting to debate and inform a wider community of the science and technology behind focus fusion through this society and its forums. In particular because there are contributors such as Eric himself to enlighten and correct comments made on aspects of the theory and design. We should not expect shot by shot updates of LLP’s ongoing research.

Agreed. I’ve designed a test matrix that protects cap life by proving each milestone at the lowest possible and practical voltages. Switching to pB-11 fuel resets the entire matrix, but that’s where the plane turns onto final and lines up the runway.

Put another way, what good is a network of 2,500 FoFu-1 clones without a thorough experimental database to build their experiments around? One of the strengths of that network would be the transparent theory and experiment database that would allow each school to see what hasn’t been tried that might bear on one or more aspects of system design. I’m thinking onion design in particular, since I think that’s going to be the most challenging subsystem, both now and as long as DPFs are being manufactured in any quantity.

Henning
    Participant

Brian H wrote: It’s now almost 3 weeks since the last post that was actually news.

So that gives you one extra week waiting. They’re writing up monthly result documents. Rezwan reformats and posts them for FF members first, and eventually releases them on this web site. The construction time was special, that’s when she visited LPP daily and informed us in a quite timely manner.

JimmyT
    Participant

FYI, The onion design has been temporarily shelved. The current thinking is that it will be more difficult to manufacture than a simple cylinder shape. Look at the picture Rez’ has posted on the topic titled “Dense Plasma Focus (DPF)” on the home page. It’s a small picture but it depicts a cylinder design. Perhaps later generations of the device can have an onion design, which may well prove to be lighter and more efficient.

Meanwhile, maybe we can harass Rezwan into posting a bigger picture of this variant.

Aeronaut
    Participant

JimmyT wrote: FYI, The onion design has been temporarily shelved. The current thinking is that it will be more difficult to manufacture than a simple cylinder shape. Look at the picture Rez’ has posted on the topic titled “Dense Plasma Focus (DPF)” on the home page. It’s a small picture but it depicts a cylinder design. Perhaps later generations of the device can have an onion design, which may well prove to be lighter and more efficient.

Meanwhile, maybe we can harass Rezwan into posting a bigger picture of this variant.

My impression was that it was called an onion because of all those layers…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.