The Focus Fusion Society Forums Plasma Cosmology and BBNH Intersting Steady State Cosmology model

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Impaler
    Participant

I recently came across this (very detailed) cosmology model by a David Crawford of Australia, it’s a tired-light based system in which photons lose energy in gravitational fields by giving off secondary photons which are absorbed by high temperature inter-galactic plasma. Their is also a kind of pressure in the plasma due to it’s motion which is supposed to act as a counter to gravitational collapse. The author goes through a lot of the well known observational inconsistencies with BB (lack of time dilation in quasars, surface brightness of galaxies etc etc) that most readers here would be familiar with but also goes on to make many claims that his model can predict the observations in question.

This looks to be the most recent paper published
    http://journalofcosmology.com/crawford3.pdf

while the authors book is available in PDF (150+ pages) at his site
    http://www.davidcrawford.bigpondhosting.com/cc2.pdf

Overall this looks like an interesting attempt to create a reasonably complete steady-state counter model to the BB. It dose not provide any specific answers to questions I raised in my earlier thread https://focusfusion.org/index.php/forums/viewthread/877/ but generally seems to assume recycling methods of a similar sort.

jamesr
    Participant

I don’t pretend to know anything about his “Curvature Cosmology”, however I would point out that although the journal he published in claims to be peer reviewed, a quick google on it seems to cast doubt on the professionalism of the operation.

From a reddit thread:

Here is an account from someone asked to act as reviewer for an article
    http://www.sentientdevelopments.com/2009/09/explanation-for-lifes-origins-that.html

I know controversial theories are less likely to get published in mainstream journals like IOP’s “Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics” or Elsevier’s “Physics Letters B” but I think you’d have to at least a bit guarded that the peer review process will not have been as robust in a ‘journal’ like this.

vansig
    Participant

the problem i have with the Big Bang theory, is that it concludes that, because the universe is expanding, that it must have been compressed in the past.
    that conclusion requires that matter cannot be created, except at the beginning.

yet, we see cracks in that framework, since the standard model has been modified to propose the existence of dark energy.. which introduces an unexpected and huge factor. indeed, the largest.

instead of all that,
    what if matter is being created all the time, from this mysterious dark energy? and there was no big bang, yet the universe is expanding; it always has, and always will.

Siuboy
    Participant

Dear Old Timer,

I think that there are many unsubstantiated assumptions in the “Big Bang Theory” I think that Hannes Alfven was correct that the cosmos has a “cell like” structure and that as more and more star atlases are done, the cell like nature of the cosmos becomes more apparent. I also think that there is some real problems with “gravity” beyond the problems with the non-agreement with General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. The supposed speed of propagation of the
    “gravitational wave” produced by the “graviton”, is being inferred by the deflection of lightwaves from distant galaxies as they pass near Jupiter. Newton assumed an instantaneous speed for gravity, and that probably led to the idea of the aether. “Dark Matter” is an invention to explain away rotational speeds of galaxies,
    because the theories won’t compute unless there is a lot more matter out there ( that we can’t observe ). LIGO observatories haven’t detected gravitational waves, despite pretty good funding. The Australians don’t think one built on their island will help matters. Einstein felt that geometry ( Riemannian manifolds ) explained gravity….perhaps the geometry isn’t Riemannian, but Fractal. Every time I look at representations of plasmas I see Fractal type shapes. I lean toward a steady state universe but as Paul Erdos was fond of saying “My brain is open”.

Warwick
    Participant

jamesr wrote: I don’t pretend to know anything about his “Curvature Cosmology”, however I would point out that although the journal he published in claims to be peer reviewed, a quick google on it seems to cast doubt on the professionalism of the operation.

From a reddit thread:

Here is an account from someone asked to act as reviewer for an article
    http://www.sentientdevelopments.com/2009/09/explanation-for-lifes-origins-that.html

I know controversial theories are less likely to get published in mainstream journals like IOP’s “Journal of Cosmology and Astroparticle Physics” or Elsevier’s “Physics Letters B” but I think you’d have to at least a bit guarded that the peer review process will not have been as robust in a ‘journal’ like this.

In the end all peer review is a human system, which is flawed and imperfect. Reasons for not accepting submissions can be pretty silly, whereas anything that is expected and conventional goes unquestioned (e.g. natural scientists’ grasp of statistical inference is often very poor, but they follow a well-trodden orthodox procedure and that is considered good enough).

Yes, some sources are more likely to be better checked than others. My attitude is, I would approach any scientific information with scepticism, regardless of how authoritative or otherwise the journal. It’s got to stand or fall on its own merits.

That said, reading your link, that does sound fairly damning, doesn’t it.

vansig
    Participant

regardless of peer review, about 97% of published science papers report finding the effect that the researcher was looking for. publication bias begins early

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.