The Focus Fusion Society Forums Economic Forums Initial market: compete with Hyperion

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dennisp
    Participant

Hyperion is building small self-contained fission plants to service remote areas. $50 million for a 25 megawatt reactor. Still requires 3-5 year regulatory approval for each one. It’s a $135 billion market.
    http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-05-17/miniature-nuclear-plants-seek-approval-to-work-in-u-s-update1-.html

A similar-size reactor at one percent of the price with no regulatory issues ought to compete in this market quite well…and there’s no legacy grid to get in the way.

Breakable
    Keymaster

FF has not completed proof of concept, prototype or design phase so I would say there is a lot of uncertainty about the final pricing. It looks promising, but its far from done. Validation is an even bigger story.
    I worked on several mediums size projects, and can say for certain that any journey looks easy before getting up.

dennisp
    Participant

Obviously my comment is based on the idea that focus fusion works as described. Just like pretty much all other comments in the economics forum.

Breakable
    Keymaster

Sorry, I did not want to discourage any speculation.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Dennis, assuming FF does work as promised and pretty much on schedule, it will still require NRC type certification since the reaction is at the nucleus level AND because it makes X-rays. Couple that with the ability to derail some gigantic gravy trains, and the engineering challenges pale in comparison to the political challenges. In my opinion, anyway.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.