The Focus Fusion Society Forums Lawrenceville Plasma Physics Experiment (LPPX) Focus fusion for radioactive waste treatment

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    rashidas
    Participant

Dear Focus Fusion:

Would it be possible to use the highly energetic flow of helium atoms from focused fusion reactors to modify radioactive wastes? I have read that this waste can be rendered less radioactive by transmutation in a particle accelerator.

Rashidas

Lerner
    Participant

Plasam focus devices have ben looked at for producing medical isotopes and the same process could transmute radioactive waste to stable isotopes. It will take reserach, but definately a possibility.

Tasmodevil44
    Participant

Not only may the alpha particles possibly remediate nuclear waste, but x – rays also have the possibility of knocking excess neutrons out of radioactive isotopes, rendering them harmless. I think I may have already mentioned this possibility in one of my other posts.

gymfuzz
    Participant

Does adding heavy ions to the plasma poison it in any way?

Tasmodevil44
    Participant

I think that adding heavy ions to the plasma does indeed poison the fusion process. This is due to greater energy loss from the plasma in the form of X – ray emissions. And it’s not just the number of nuclear protons, but the square of them. With boron, it’s still not all that bad: 5 X 5 = 25 times more than a single proton of hydrogen.

This is one of the reasons (plus others) why I abandoned the idea of a hybrid fission/fusion like as in an H – bomb, where heavy actinide fission would help to kick – start pB11.

I also considered the blacklight reaction Randall Mills claims to have discovered as a way to make pB11 a lot easier to start. According to Randall Mills, atoms of calcium and phosphorus in the hydrogen plasma act as a catalyst for the reaction. Once again, such larger atoms might cause too much X – ray loss, which would probably cause too much plasma cooling rather than heating.

This is probably why Lerner has the vacuum chamber evacuated of as many impurities as possible before each experimental testing.

To remediate nuclear waste with the DPF, it is probably preferrable to not inject it directly into the plasma focus, but to keep it separate while being irradiated with X – rays or alphas or whatever from a distance. I could be wrong, but at least that’s the only way it seems workable so far as I can tell.

Jolly Roger
    Participant

On the “Fusion for Waste Disposal” thread, the idea was brought up that using Deuterium as fuel for the FF would produce the neutrons needed to induce radioactive nuclides to a stable state.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.