Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Brian H
    Participant

Brian H wrote:

The report for December should be out by this weekend sometime. It was delayed for various reasons, but mostly because we wanted to include our latest test results.

You’re a tease, Aaron, a reeel tease! :cheese:

Merry Christmas!

Still hoping for a present this year …
    🙂 8-/

vansig
    Participant

Allan Brewer wrote:
    I’m working on an in-silico simulation of exit beam energy capture right now – will report back when results are solid.

Nice. what tools are you using?

Allan Brewer
    Participant

Writing from scratch in .NET Visual Studio, with a physics text book by my side!

Breakable
    Keymaster

What is a respectable wage to give the student? $10-25.00 per hour depending on the major.

I wish I had this type of wage…

Jolly Roger
    Participant

zapkitty wrote: …how many useful things could be investigated without using a DPF at all?

My vision of the future my grandchildren will live in includes fusion-powered planes, trains, trucks and ships. 5 MW (and multiples thereof) would have applications in transportation, an energy-intensive sector of the world economy. Reduction in size and weight of auxilliary systems (ie capacitors, switches, shielding, etc.) would be needed. Research and Development in those areas would be useful.

P.S. It’s been a while since I last posted.

benf
    Participant

Welcome back Jolly Roger….I liked Eric’s reference to an author’s idea (source?) of developing an underground magnetic levitating train system that could travel at supersonic speeds, constructed and powered by Focus Fusion generators, of course!

Tulse
    Participant

The main cost of an underground evacuated tube maglev train would not be power — the capital costs would be staggering. Even if power were free, such an enterprise would not be cost effective.

benf
    Participant

True, it would be expensive. But maybe in the 1800’s they’d have said the same thing about a network of flying machines able to cross the country in six hours or less, with each “aero port” having restaurants and flush toilets for everyone…

Brian H
    Participant

Jolly Roger wrote:

…how many useful things could be investigated without using a DPF at all?

My vision of the future my grandchildren will live in includes fusion-powered planes, trains, trucks and ships. 5 MW (and multiples thereof) would have applications in transportation, an energy-intensive sector of the world economy. Reduction in size and weight of auxilliary systems (ie capacitors, switches, shielding, etc.) would be needed. Research and Development in those areas would be useful.

P.S. It’s been a while since I last posted.
    I know Elon Musk, of TeslaMotors and SpaceX, has a “next big project” in the back of his mind — electric planes with 12,000-mi range. FF could do that for him.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.