Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Rezwan
    Participant

Check out the first draft film from Focus Fusion Films… and discuss. Does it explain things clearly? Should I mention somewhere what a “plasma” is? We will be making more segments, so we should eventually have the whole concept explained. Still, good to know what is least understood.

Many of you on the forums are already familiar with the concepts – try to run this by someone who has no idea and see what feedback you get.

Also, if you want to volunteer to re-edit, or do the soundtrack (and redo narration especially!) – you are most welcome.

Note the copyright notice at the end. I’m thinking of going creative commons with this – to make the footage and animation available and let people cut together their own films. I’ll need to set this up. Discuss : )

Rezwan
    Participant

Like that part “for a few millionths of a second, energy flows from the outer to the inner electrode through the gas” – that doesn’t match the pictures. We need an arrow or something showing electricity…because that blue stuff is the gas that has now become gathered.

Would wavy lines of energy work?

This is why I think another video on “what is plasma” is required. But hey! They are probably out there already. You may already know where they are! How convenient.

Breakable
    Keymaster

It might be a good idea to establish what is the purpose of this video.
    As explaining the technology itself it should work, but it does not underline the advantages of FF technology or the disadvantages of tocamacs for example.
    In my opinion a video is best used to spread your ideas, and advocate them to others. On the other hand, explanation is necessary when you have something working and want to explain how it does that.

Warwick
    Participant

I liked it. One comment (which probably you can’t change anyway even if you wanted to) I only ever use blue for negative, red for positive… so that bit looked kind of strange … the things we get from electronics sets when we’re 5…
    I think the repeated bit of video at the end doesn’t match the words so indeed you might want to change that and put something else cool.

Warwick
    Participant

I should add, re WMM … the version I tried was XP and doesn’t do higher resolutions so that could become a problem … also, someone told me Power Director can be better than SVS, further to what I put before.

belbear
    Participant

Nice movie, but i was hoping to see some audiovisual footage of DPF operations. (even cellphone or webcam quality is better than nothing)
    I’m especially curious to know how FoFu-1 SOUNDS like when firing.

Is it an ear-shattering BANG, a muffled POP, a sharp TICK or no sound at all?

After all, if this trick is really working out, history is being made and it would be a shame that only written text and still pictures of the first experiments are available when FoFu-1 is moving to the Smithsonian in a decade or so…

Rezwan
    Participant

Breakable: I think it’s best to think of these as segments in a larger series. Each segment has a concept to convey that builds up to the whole advocacy series.

The purpose of this segment is to just explain how the DPF works.

I think for the beginner it’s too quick. You first need to set up what plasma is, and also what fusion is. I’m worried because here I show hydrogen boron fusion, which looks like fission because it splits. That’s bound to confuse some. Also, the machine hasn’t even been tested yet for hydrogen boron – that’s what LPP is doing now! So we probably need some sort of disclaimer there somewhere about how this is being tested. However, that this machine results in fusion is proven and established, with deuterium.

So, yes, it will be a few films, and we’ll have to ask people to watch them in the proper order, but they need to be able to stand on their own. And they need to work together to build a case.

Warwick: Thanks! It’s details like that that I’m looking for. Yes, it’ll be easy to change the + and -. I added those as title overlays to the animation. I had no idea about the color. This is terrible. A time will come when I need to cut a wire to disable a bomb, and I’ll cut the blue wire! Disaster!

Well, we’ve already committed to Vegas – OK, it was $110, not such a huge committment, but the time spent to figure out how it works is. The issue is that this is the consumer version. You pay more for better sound manipulation. Sound – what an art. I am in awe of people that do sound tracks. As with any tool, I think the real issue is finding people who are good at using it. Either through creative commons or through hiring skilled people – we can up the quality. For now, there’s just me. Creative commons also means going back to the website, setting it up to support that, putting in legal/practical guidelines for use. And then a lot of data entry/uploading of images and footage… Many images of which people wouldn’t understand.

What I’d prefer is people in the area coming down and working on the actual video footage in house for now. I think Eric would prefer more oversight as well.

It’s all evolving. Our process.

Belbear: It makes a very interesting sound. It’s like synthesizer music. I’ll have to capture that. We’ve got it caught via the video camera mic, but it’s not the greatest capture and there’s hiss and noise around it. Would be fun to capture it with better audio equipment (any suggestions?). Maybe worth hiring a pro for an hour to come down.

Another cool sound is the vacuum pumping away. It’s a constant background shuffling sound.

Rezwan
    Participant

Another video capture question – is there some software for windows where you can record a clip of a playing movie? There are bits from the house hearing or google videos that I want to capture and work into a film (E.g., statements by senators, or others). I think government footage is public domain, right?

So: 2 questions:
    1. What is fair use of videos out there.
    2. How do I capture said footage. I know for mac there was this “SnapProZ” thing…

belbear
    Participant

Rezwan wrote: Another video capture question – is there some software for windows where you can record a clip of a playing movie? 2. How do I capture said footage. I know for mac there was this “SnapProZ” thing…

Rezwan,
    There are a lot of “screen capture” (or “screen grabber”) thingies that work for streaming videos.
    Many can be downloaded and at least tried out for free.
    I googled for “video screen grabber” and found those for you to try out: (among many others)

http://www.screenvirtuoso.com/
    http://camstudio.org/
    http://www.hyperionics.com/hc/index.asp
    http://all-streaming-media.com/record-video-from-screen/

Dunno about (American) copyright etc.. It all depends on what it’s used for. When used for nonprofit, i’ll doubt you will attract a lot of fire from the copyrightpolice for copying a youtube movie.

Although, as copyright laws are evolving now, the time is not far off that illegally downloading an mp3 will be punished more heavily than simply stealing a CD out of a shop. :coolhmm:

belbear
    Participant

Rezwan,
    You should definitely try out CamStudio, because it’s open source and noncommercial.

Which means its $-free, ad-free, nag-free, malware free…

It can capture video and audio.

I tried to upload a short snippet from your FF-youtube movie as attachment, but AVI’s (the standard type of Windows movies) are not allowed in this forum, although a great deal of other (Apple) multimedia formats are

Rezwan
    Participant

ok, will do. As to the avi – how annoying. I’ve set it to upload “all” types. So I have an email over on the expression engine forum asking why avi doesn’t upload. “all” should mean “all”.

As to narration (Derek sent a comment – can’t find it! Was it telepathy?) “Chatty tone”- Actually, I wish that was someone else’s voice. I cringe at my own. also, recorded it with “noise reduction” on, which makes it sound tinny and mechanical, like Dr. Hawking.

Breakable
    Keymaster

I believe you can download Google videos as avis. Regarding video series, you will probably need a few introduction videos. Aso it woul be probably good to start with a short video with all the selling points for most people with ADD

Tulse
    Participant

Rezwan, what is the broader purpose of this video, and the video series in general? Is it to provide the curious with some information? Is it to clear up misconceptions about FF that might be prevalent? Is it to promote FF to potential investors and government funders? I find with these kind of projects it is extremely helpful to know what audience one is aiming for, and the impact one wants to have, prior to outlining the approach.

tcg
    Participant

The animation is great. It could use some refinement and polishing, of course, but it clearly shows how focus fusion works. However, it left me hungering for the logical continuation, the generation of electricity. Nobody would operate a plasma focus just to get a suntan — we are looking for megawatts here. Part of the brilliant originality of the work at LPP is the method of direct production of electricity from the output of a DPF without having to boil water to run a generator. A short continuation of the animation would make this novel approach clear.

Brian H
    Participant

Breakable wrote: I believe you can download Google videos as avis. Regarding video series, you will probably need a few introduction videos. Aso it woul be probably good to start with a short video with all the selling points for most people with ADD

These are actually recorded as flvs. I’ve downloaded and converted them from YouTube to wmvs using Firefox’s DownloadHelper addon. But they’re almost 10MB each, so I can’t attach them here. They play OK in WMP, but better (IMO) in Winamp.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.