Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • Author
    Henning
    Participant

Lerner wrote: Pressures won’t be very extreme–several atomospheres.

I thought it would be around 7 torr (around 10mbar) like I read in the various papers.

JimmyT
    Participant

Brian H wrote:

How can we be sure, with our current data, that the earth’s magnetic field will be optimal with any tilt of the electrodes? Maybe a somewhat stronger field is necessary. In which case —> Blake coil.

The required field was imposed with internal magnets once it was discovered that the terrestrial field was responsible for the rotation of the filament.

But this has never been done in reality. It’s all theoretical at this point. Eric thinks that it will work. I think it will work. How strong of a magnetic field produces the best result? Can the same result be obtained without the coil, merely by changing the orientation of the electrode? How do we know, if we don’t know what the optimal field strength is?

JimmyT
    Participant

Henning wrote:

Pressures won’t be very extreme–several atomospheres.

I thought it would be around 7 torr (around 10mbar) like I read in the various papers.

I believe that Eric must have thought that this ongoing discussion was about the helium coolant. Not the decaborane in the reaction chamber. The thread title does suggest that this is the gist of the discussion.

JimmyT
    Participant

Rematog wrote: Of course, you will need a license from the NRC and State regulator’s to operate a nuclear fusion reactor. As a powerful source of X-rays, it would be dangerous in the wrong hands or improperly built and operated. And I’d guess that the ion beam would be of some concern.

Maybe Eric or someone else with the physic’s knowledge could address that.

Either way, I’m sure some licensing would be required. We have to get a license to hold any radioactive source or a commerical x-ray analyzer.

Rematog

I can tell you from personal experience that being in close proximity to an Ion beam for long periods of time does significantly lower your I.Q. Did Gilligan ever get off that island?

Brian H
    Participant

JimmyT wrote:

Pressures won’t be very extreme–several atomospheres.

I believe that Eric must have thought that this ongoing discussion was about the helium coolant. Not the decaborane in the reaction chamber. The thread title does suggest that this is the gist of the discussion.

I’ve seen it referred to as a “low pressure” gas environment, so you’re probably right. Better ask him, tho’!

Aeronaut
    Participant

JimmyT wrote:

Of course, you will need a license from the NRC and State regulator’s to operate a nuclear fusion reactor. As a powerful source of X-rays, it would be dangerous in the wrong hands or improperly built and operated. And I’d guess that the ion beam would be of some concern.

Maybe Eric or someone else with the physic’s knowledge could address that.

Either way, I’m sure some licensing would be required. We have to get a license to hold any radioactive source or a commerical x-ray analyzer.

Rematog

I can tell you from personal experience that being in close proximity to an Ion beam for long periods of time does significantly lower your I.Q. Did Gilligan ever get off that island?

Jimmy,

After carefully reading the LPP site’s development plan this morning, I’m sure the simulator has a lot of variables reserved for inducing spin. Problem with pioneering is the lack of maps, lol.

It also looks like the number of licenses sold next year will probably be far less than a dozen, boding well for type-certification licensing from foreign governments’ agencies, which may in turn become the DOE’s model. NRC’s website looks reasonable as long as the machine, operations, and site are designed with safety and security in mind. Politics remains to be pioneered…..

Brian H
    Participant

Aeronaut wrote:

It also looks like the number of licenses sold next year will probably be far less than a dozen, boding well for type-certification licensing from foreign governments’ agencies, which may in turn become the DOE’s model. NRC’s website looks reasonable as long as the machine, operations, and site are designed with safety and security in mind. Politics remains to be pioneered…..

Next year? What are your indications that any licenses will be issued before the engineering is proven? Eric, AFAIK, has shown no indication that he thinks that would be appropriate, sensible, or likely.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Brian H wrote:

Next year? What are your indications that any licenses will be issued before the engineering is proven? Eric, AFAIK, has shown no indication that he thinks that would be appropriate, sensible, or likely.

My bad.

http://lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.com/index.php?pr=Fusion_Projections seems to expect to sell 1 license each in 2011 and 2012, ramping up from there. Menu items on that page lay out the entire FF project for potential investors.

Brian H
    Participant

Aeronaut wrote:

My bad.

http://lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.com/index.php?pr=Fusion_Projections seems to expect to sell 1 license each in 2011 and 2012, ramping up from there. Menu items on that page lay out the entire FF project for potential investors.

The page is obsolete, as it works off an assumption of raising money through the X-Scan process and going up from there, starting in 2006. Moving directly into FF generators is a different path, and you can bump all the dates in there by about 2 years.

Here is more relevant info:
    http://lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.com/index.php?pr=Fusion_Marketing

LPP will carry out a two-year series of experiments to test the scientific feasibility of Focus Fusion. This constitutes Phase I of our overall plan.

The goal of Phase 1 is to demonstrate beyond doubt that enough fusion energy is generated with Focus Fusion so that net energy production is possible with reasonable efficiencies of conversion of energy directly to electricity. This would be a tremendous breakthrough and would solve the scientific problem of fusion energy production.

LPP believes that once scientific feasibility is demonstrated, it should be relatively easy to raise the $15 million necessary for Phase 2 from a combination of government and private sources. In all probability, LPP will be able to make an Initial Public Offering after the end of Phase 1.

A successful completion of Phase 1 will essentially assure technical success, as no new technology will be needed for Phase 2, just an adaptation of existing technology. There is no other technology that can compete with Focus Fusion as it will produce energy at costs far less than any other current process or technology.

In Phase 2, we will develop the Focus Fusion device as a repetitively-pulsed reactor, develop the conversion devices to convert the ion beams and X-rays to electricity using mainly existing technology, and perfect the cooling system and electrical control system. We will also optimize the fusion energy generation efficiency. At the end of Phase 2, which LPP estimates will take another three years, we plan to have the world’s first fusion reactor producing net electricity.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Be that as it may, that is the information that LPP currently presents potential investors. Predicated on a series of estimates, you and I can only speculate…..

Brian H
    Participant

Aeronaut wrote: Be that as it may, that is the information that LPP currently presents potential investors. Predicated on a series of estimates, you and I can only speculate…..

Actually, nothing in the current situation corresponds to that budget/projection, so AFAIK it is roadkill. It is certainly not being used to talk to current investor candidates.

Viewing 11 posts - 91 through 101 (of 101 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.