The Focus Fusion Society Forums Spreading the Word CNBC Business Wire features Lawrenceville Plasma Physics

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Matt M
    Participant

Source: Lawrenceville Plasma Physics
    Focus Fusion
    ——————————————————————————–

Nuclear fusion may still be in the lab, but one New Jersey company is continuing a steady march toward commercializing this powerful energy source.

“We’ve achieved a number of milestones to get here,” says Eric Lerner, president of Lawrenceville Plasma Physics, which is at work on “dense plasma fusion.”

http://www.cnbc.com/id/46134204/

Rezwan
    Participant

Thanks Matt! I have now posted that on Facebook.

Speaking of which, did I give you posting to blog privileges? We need more people with that capacity to also make these blog posts. Let me know!

ikanreed
    Participant

Isn’t it supposed to be fusion via dense plasma focus? Am I just demonstrating my ignorance here, or is “Dense plasma fusion” not actually a thing?

zapkitty
    Participant

ikanreed wrote: Isn’t it supposed to be fusion via dense plasma focus? Am I just demonstrating my ignorance here, or is “Dense plasma fusion” not actually a thing?

Well, any form of “hot” fusion can be referred to as dense plasma fusion, and the article explicitly excludes “cold fusion” so that may have been what the author was after.

And remember:

“There is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is [em]not[/em] being talked about. – Oscar Wilde”

Or its modern descendant [em]”Any publicity is good publicity.”[/em]

With that in mind I’d worry more about the sudden excursion into a pro-fission PR piece in the middle of an article about fusion than I would worry about the phrase “dense plasma fusion.”

zapkitty
    Participant

ikanreed wrote: Isn’t it supposed to be fusion via dense plasma focus? Am I just demonstrating my ignorance here, or is “Dense plasma fusion” not actually a thing?

Ah, I’m being especially dense… you meant the appropriateness of the use of the phrase as opposed to whether the author of the article knew what it meant.

The plasma in an FF unit is much denser than the plasma in devices such as a tokamak, albeit much smaller, so dense plasma fusion is indeed an appropriate phrase.

… and, come to think of it, it can be a nice way to separate the concept in the public mind from the other fusion contenders…

Note to self: try to wake up before posting.

… we’ll know if the phrasing is successful if the NIF gang tries to glom on to it… 🙂

jamesr
    Participant

inertial fusion peaks at about 1000x solid density. The peak focus of a DPF will (hopefully) be just under solid density, whereas tokamaks are ~10^-9 times solid density. So what each community calls dense is very different.

JimmyT
    Participant

Top ten fusion projects in the world. Guess who made the list.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505123_162-34242897/ten-serious-nuclear-fusion-projects-making-progress-around-the-world

Just looking at the technical merits of these ten…. I’d bet big time on that NEW Jersey firm to win the race. Let’s see … what is the name of that company again?

Zara
    Participant

1… 2… Kalamazoo… 3… 4… Jersey Shore…. 5… 6… West Phoenix 1 G’s 8… 1 G’s 9… Denver, Dallas, Anaheim… Anyone see the 7?

benf
    Participant

Zara, staying on topic with your posts would be much appreciated!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.