Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Phil’s Dad
    Participant

Lazy! LAZY! I’LL HAVE YOU KNOW…nah; can’t be bothered. >:(

Brian H
    Participant

Phil’s Dad wrote: Lazy! LAZY! I’LL HAVE YOU KNOW…nah; can’t be bothered. >:(

Are you being offended on behalf of the downsideup Europeans, or RU 1? %-P

JimmyT
    Participant

Brian H wrote:

They were going to use diamond switches, but it turns out that diamond switches that big had never been made before. Probably could be, but never had been. Plus this would be introducing yet another unknown, untested variable into the mix. So Eric opted for an off the shelf comercially available switch instead. Not sure of the type used though.

Rather like the ones on the wall I gather. Up is on, down is off. he, he. Did you know that the opposite convention is used for wall switches in Europe?

That’s because they’re lazy and want it to be easier to turn the lights on. :cheese:

Some people say “open the light” and “close the light”. But of course, an open switch is off, and closed is on. They never appreciate it when I explain their language is electrically illiterate … :-S

I hate to admit it, but I wasn’t sure which convention you-all used in Canada. No offense intended. I like your currancy (coins particularly) .

Brian H
    Participant

JimmyT wrote:

They were going to use diamond switches, but it turns out that diamond switches that big had never been made before. Probably could be, but never had been. Plus this would be introducing yet another unknown, untested variable into the mix. So Eric opted for an off the shelf comercially available switch instead. Not sure of the type used though.

Rather like the ones on the wall I gather. Up is on, down is off. he, he. Did you know that the opposite convention is used for wall switches in Europe?

That’s because they’re lazy and want it to be easier to turn the lights on. :cheese:

Some people say “open the light” and “close the light”. But of course, an open switch is off, and closed is on. They never appreciate it when I explain their language is electrically illiterate … :-S

I hate to admit it, but I wasn’t sure which convention you-all used in Canada. No offense intended. I like your currancy (coins particularly) .
    I got/get the “close-open a light” stuff mostly from my ex, who was linguistically imprinted in upstate New Yawk. :cheese:

Breakable
    Keymaster

Is it me or does the switch problem smells of sabotage?
    PS:Turn on the paranoia – the finish seems near 😉

Brian H
    Participant

Breakable wrote: Is it me or does the switch problem smells of sabotage?
    PS:Turn on the paranoia – the finish seems near 😉

No, it’s just you. Just because you have enemies doesn’t mean you aren’t paranoid. 🙄 :-/

Rezwan
    Participant

Brian H wrote: Rather like the ones on the wall I gather. Up is on, down is off.

Gone are the simple days. Since we dropped the trade barriers, all kinds of nefarious practices have become common. I speak of the dual switch fiasco. You have one switch at one entry, and another on the other side of the room. So if you turn one up/on, the one on the other side is now down/on. This leads to new combinations.

Of course, some of the switches don’t get it. “Oh, I see. I was up/on yesterday, and then the person switched my counterpart up/off, so now the light is off, but, dear me – they’re switching me and nothing seems to be happening…”

It’s a conspiracy. They know we’re lazy and they just want to get us to cross that room – again and again.

This is what happens when you let standards lapse. Chaos. Inconvenience.

Brian H
    Participant

Rezwan wrote:

Rather like the ones on the wall I gather. Up is on, down is off.

Gone are the simple days. Since we dropped the trade barriers, all kinds of nefarious practices have become common. I speak of the dual switch fiasco. You have one switch at one entry, and another on the other side of the room. So if you turn one up/on, the one on the other side is now down/on. This leads to new combinations.

Of course, some of the switches don’t get it. “Oh, I see. I was up/on yesterday, and then the person switched my counterpart up/off, so now the light is off, but, dear me – they’re switching me and nothing seems to be happening…”

It’s a conspiracy. They know we’re lazy and they just want to get us to cross that room – again and again.

This is what happens when you let standards lapse. Chaos. Inconvenience.
    That sounds like a screwy system!
    I’ve seen ones where two switches in the same position = on, and in different positions = off. In that instance, you just throw the switch whichever way is available if you want to change the luminescent state of the light. Of course, if you want, you could get confused by that. But it takes effort.

Phil’s Dad
    Participant

Brian H wrote:

I drive on the left :coolsmile:

Brian H
    Participant

Phil’s Dad wrote:

I drive on the left :coolsmile:
    Yikes! Where? :gulp:

Phil’s Dad
    Participant

On the road 🙄

Brian H
    Participant

Phil’s Dad wrote: On the road 🙄

Um, not US roads, I trust. Whose?

Phil’s Dad
    Participant

I did once. Took a right turn into the wrong lane of a duel carriageway in Florida. It got uncomfortable very quickly.

Whose? Her Britannic Majesty’s.

Brian H
    Participant

Phil’s Dad wrote: I did once. Took a right turn into the wrong lane of a duel carriageway in Florida. It got uncomfortable very quickly.

Whose? Her Britannic Majesty’s.

A carriageway would be a highway, I presume?!? But a duel one sounds kind of combative; pistols en passant? At dawn? :gulp: Of course, in Florida or Texas, that’s quite possible, I s’pose …

Henning
    Participant

Phil’s Dad wrote: Whose? Her Britannic Majesty’s.

Oz?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.