The Focus Fusion Society Forums Reframing fusion, managing expectations Campaign – Peace sign vs. don’t mess

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    zapkitty
    Participant

medium versions of the proposed alternate

Attached files

Breakable
    Keymaster

zapkitty wrote: medium versions of the proposed alternate

Why is it black as in coal, i would make it yellow as sun 😉

zapkitty
    Participant

Design first, decoration later.

It can be any and all colors that you like… or it can be engraved in stone. Substitute photorealistic effects for the sheath and filaments… or use primary colors.

It’s flexible 🙂

zapkitty
    Participant

On the other paw that is a lot of ink… maybe it needs to go on a diet?… and getting this effect was much easier than I’d thought for…

Attached files

fflogo-outline-xxxxl-png.zip (146 B) 

Brian H
    Participant

Have you considered, for web use, animated GIFs like the one below? (opens in a new tab, apparently). Part of “Google Sketchup 7” package.

Attached files

zapkitty
    Participant

Considering that the first version of the “outline” logo I posted had both ends lopped off… and I hadn’t noticed… I think my going for animated gifs would be pushing things a bit 🙂

… best to leave complex enhancements for others….

Rezwan
    Participant

OK. Back to the “don’t mess with…” line of thinking.

“Fusion ain’t for sissies” is a bit sexist and retro. But how about:

“Hack Fusion”.

Get people to think outside the “mainline”.

Brian H
    Participant

Color me ‘fused. “Hack”? WUWT?

Rezwan
    Participant

Just reading about Mark Zuckerberg, who randomly gave $100 million to Newark schools.

Zuckerberg, who is not from Newark, met Booker in July and developed a “continuing conversation” with the mayor about Newark’s future, reports the Times. Booker has actively been meeting celebrities, business leaders and appearing on television in an effort raise money for his city.

It’d be nice to score this kind of thing for fusion. Anyway, this bit about hacking from wikipedia:

Zuckerberg “clearly thinks of himself as a hacker”[11] and says hacking isn’t about “breaking and entering,” it’s about “being unafraid to break things in order to make them better.”[12] Facebook conducts “hackathons” every six to eight weeks in which participants have one night to conceive of and complete a project.[11]… “The idea is that you can build something really good in a night,” Zuckerberg told Wired.

So the “hacking” appeals to me because it’s about getting unstuck from “mainline” approaches and diversifying approaches to fusion.

Also, imagine a “switch hackathon” or what have you.

And also, it may be a way to relate fusion issues to the cyber generation of philanthropists. It’s a simple call to action that says, “Don’t leave it up to the mainline approaches. Try other things.”

Brian H
    Participant

Makes sense now that I understand it hackurately! But not sure how much explanation would be required for random public persons/viewers! It’s mostly associated with illegal software pirates and purloiners.

zapkitty
    Participant

.hack fusion

… wasn’t that the sequel to .hack liminality?

🙂

Ivy Matt
    Participant

And if you can’t hack fusion, there’s always X-Scan as a backup plan. ;-P

Warwick
    Participant

OK several different things

– about jobs

Changes like the use of a particular technology should not in the long run decrease or increase the amount of labour employed. However, they may change the geographical distribution of jobs. In the short run, supply shocks have an impact on the relationship between unemployment and inflation: a positive supply shock would have the opposite effect to the negative shocks seen (for example) in the OPEC crisis of the 1970s. Fiscal and monetary policies are the main determinant of employment, but supply-side changes characterise the environment in which policy can operate. The reflationary capacity of an economy is also related to a permanent supply-side issue, the prevalence of competition vs market power: in the absence of powerful trade unions, monopoly in the product markets is the main force that can drive inflation. Today’s economies contain a much larger amount of large price-setting firms than in the past, and this is generally considered to make it hard to maintain full employment. Perhaps the potential impact of focus fusion power on this should be considered.

– the logo upside-down

As Ivy Matt points out, the only case of “upside-down logo” that will spring to mind for most people is the Nazi swastika. In other words, inverted peace symbol means war – you can’t expect most to know the backstory about the CND logo creator. Everyone knows the Nazi / peace swastika thing.

Saying it’s CUD doesn’t hang together – why would having fusion power make someone stop using guns or bombs? In any case, an unfamiliar idea to most people.

– mass appeal

From a marketing perspective, a putative supplier of power units would not need or want the item to appeal to everyone or not be at all controversial. It has to have a sufficiently strong appeal to a sufficient number of people and firms for them to be prepared to invest in owning one. I think in the USA you’re used to, let’s say, a vocal section of the population decrying all kinds of wicked newfangled things, something which on this side of the Atlantic we do not really have so much – and this maybe breeds a ‘try not to offend’ way of thinking, but you’re in business, not in government, and it’s not your job to universally change behaviour. Society is an intellectual pyramid and the bottom layer follow _after_. The fusion market will eventually eclipse fossil fuels on its own, absent interventions to prevent it; there’s no need for marketing to look that far ahead.

Rather than worrying about appealing to both hippies and rednecks, the focus should be only on appealing to that section of the population that is most open to change and sees themselves as taking an active role in embracing positive new technologies. They’re not rednecks or the paranoid rich, and they’re not the same group as hippies.

That said, I think the downwards logo is sufficiently dissimilar from the CND logo that it’s not a bad choice.

I say “absent interventions” because of course, globally, fossil firms get big bucks of subsidies from the public purse, and when threatened they will screech loudly about jobs and risks and the need to give them much bigger handouts. Too big to fail! Broadly their appeal will be to traditionalists and small-c conservatives; another reason you want to get clearer thinkers on side, whatever their political complexion, and forget the necks and the socialites. You want the Telegraph and the Guardian, not Sarah Palin or Hello!.

— religion

Well if someone can see an inverted crucifix in a CND sign then they can probably imagine anything, let’s face it.
    But I’d steer clear of stars. You may recall that Chernobyl means Wormwood, and the passage in Revelation that says something like “And there was a star on earth, and its name was Wormwood, and it poisoned 1/3 of the waters, and 1/3 of the creatures died” (I haven’t looked it up but it’s along those lines.) To an over-the-top religious person anything involving stars and nuclear power would be fertile territory.

— Taylor Swift

I guess my own view of things is summed up by the fact that whenever I have a good day in contributing to Focus Fusion, I play this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1jYllE0T-k
    Maybe you should use that song. 😉

Warwick
    Participant

oh, and yes about the robots. For the future we need to re-envision a society where competing to work makes no sense. Not a society where people are idle and pampered, but where human effort is spent in more beneficial directions than at present. We were promised robots, yet we live in a world where parents of pre-school children frequently both put their time into earning. This shouldn’t be happening now. I daresay the main reason is the stagnation/decrease of the living standards available on a typical one person 35-hour-week income in ‘the west’. Somehow capital finds ways to maintain the constant picture that there is a massive ‘reserve army’ of labour all waiting for jobs, which keeps conditions from improving even at the high point of the cycle.

The presence of trade unions in Detroit led to the transition ‘from rustbelt to sunbelt’, since at that time labour in California was cheap. A homogeneous labour force at the behest of a monopsonistic employer will be paid their marginal value product, so a firm can afford to pay more, so the classical theory goes, but they’ll avoid it if they can. A similar thing has subsequently happened on a global scale with all industrial manufacturing. And resistance was emphatically not as transnational as capital. More like, if you live in many of the workshop countries of the world then resistance to poor labour conditions and long hours is met with a water cannon. Empire by proxy? That said there have also been improvements of standards, in certain places at certain times – and even in China things are supposedly changing. Maybe in the near future, the lowest common denominator will not be quite so low.

The latin word for work was ‘negotium’. The absence of otium. Otium doesn’t mean idleness, it means studious leisure, the kind of thing you’d have if you were a patrician, not a low-down plebeian that has negotium. We should build a society not where people glory in the dignity of hard labour, like in some kind of 1920s communist poster (though some might) but where there is more otium, more civilisation, a more edified existence than was possible in the past.

Warwick
    Participant

I quite like the spiral logo in its more developed format. I guess the ideal would be if looked more unique – there are loads of similar looking logos out there, that are basically meaningless. As it stands there’s danger of confusion with that.

The Big Idea that forms the focus fusion USP is, in my view, that it’s not just another new invention but the dawn of a new era. People will find that a lot more exciting and be more motivated to buy into it. You need to frame it on an epic scale.

A good logo should attempt to hint at that USP.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.