Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Going through emails to previous incarnation of site I see this question (with answers by Lerner) was replied to, but never aired on the website. Here it is for your discussion pleasure:

The fuel is assumed to be a low pressure gaseous mixture of hydrogen and boron. How do you make a gas out of boron, which is a solid up to very high temperatures?

Decaborane will probably be used as the fuel (B10 H14). While also a solid at room temperature, it has sufficient vapor pressure at around 100 C to fill the vauum chamber. Petabornae, another compund which is a gas at room temerapture may also be used.

And how do you remove the helium exhaust from the reactor without also removing the fuel mix?

The helium comes out in the ion beam gnerated by the plasmoid and can be collected at the end of the drift tube where the beam energy is captured.

Does the possible presence of other compounds than the pure and optimal hydrogen/boron fuel mix in the reactor substantially degrade the fusion process?

Yes, special care is taken in all DPF experiments to eliminate impurities by selection of materials for the device and by thorough cleaning before the chamber is sealed.

JesterX
    Participant

What is the ratio of boron to hydrogen in the fuel mixture? It’s mentioned here that decaborane will most likely be used, has the possibility of using residual heat from the reactor’s cooling system to heat the decaborane to the 100C required to produce the gas been explored? It seems that this could be another way to reduce energy requirements.

JimmyT
    Participant

How about using decaborane gas as a coolant for the center electrode? Or perhaps even introducing it initially into the electrode as a liquid; thus taking advantage of the phase change to remove heat.
    I couldn’t find the decomposition temperature of decaborane. That might rule it out.

Zara
    Participant

In order to make the technology work to it’s fullest potential you would use Boron in a Vacume with the Hydrogen making a very energy effiecient and very inexpensie way to power the world. You can read more about this at http://forum.physorg.com. I post under the name Zarabtul there though there is a lot of research there that can be collected on this topic. This topic is one I have been studying since i was contacted to endorse this legislation to the Representatives in New Jersey. It seems as if it has stalled some though as many know there is little time to talk when you are on a time frame and want to be able to be the patent holder.

Also from another site a meeting on Nuclear Physics…..

[O13.009] Molecular States and Exotic Mesons
    Rui Zhang (University of Minnesota), Yi-Bing Ding (Academy of Sciences of China), Xue-Qian Li (Nankai University), Philip Page (Los Alamos National Laboratory)
    This work investigates whether the observed 1^-+ exotic mesons are molecular states. We first use a potential model to calculate the spectra and lifetimes of the f_0(980) and a_0(980), taken to be loosely bound molecular states of K

JimmyT
    Participant

All I’m saying is that the electrode forms a fairly effective counter-current heat exchanger. This makes it difficult to remove waste heat.
    One way to avoid this problem would be to use decaborane as the coolant. Removing the hot decaborane (minus the minuscule portion burned) thru a hole in the base plate. This could then be cooled and sent thru again. The chamber could be maintained at any pressure.
    And where the decaborane exits the electrode near its top into the chamber. The exit ports could be angled. Swirling the gas in the chamber. Angular momentum.

Transmute
    Participant

I don’t think Decaborane at a pressure of a few Pascels or less will work as a coolant (med-high vacuum) your going to need electrons being cooled with an inner cloolant pipe or ablative electrodes made of a non-fusionable material (or some kind of boron alloy) in which the electrodes can be automatically feed in or adjusted as they wear away.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.