The Focus Fusion Society Forums Story, Art, Song, Self Expression Awareness to government and other countries

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    hzulkarn
    Participant

Hi All,

I’m very excited by this technology but was not aware there is a forum and a website for it. First time poster here. I’m not sure how the overall plan to market this technology is but below are some of my suggestions which requires a lot of effort but I think would work well.

In my opinion in order to sell this technology requires government intervention. I’m not sure how things work in the US, but in my country, everything needs government approval. What I’m suggesting is to have local presence in countries which have the highest probablity of government accepting new technology. Then to start work with local governments and work all the way up towards the federal level. From there, we can start selling them the idea of this new technology and give updates to get them excited. Since the technology is approximately 5-10 years away, we can start to build up the interest in the technology and with their help start spreading this awareness to the public.

Poor countries would greatly benefit from this technology i.e. Bangladesh, Vietnam, Laos, etc… and penetrating this countries would help these countries. Partnering with local companies would get the penetration required as they will have a better understanding on how to market it to their local governments and the public. I would also think that a proper marketing arm should be build as the technology is nearing completion in order to spread the word around and do proper marketing of the product.

If all of the test is successful and it is already in the production stage to be used, most people will change to this new technology since it is cheap and efficient. But the question will be how long will it take to change to this new technology as a lot of factors has to be considered. So building awareness to the people in power I believe would accelerate this change.

Any comments?

JimmyT
    Participant

I’m not sure what country you are from. But here in the USA government involvment always means hinderence and increased cost. And no benefit. Again, maybe things are different there. But the absolute best thing that could happen with our marketing in THIS country. once we get to that point. Would be for our government to STAY THE HELL OUT OF IT!

Aeronaut
    Participant

I believe you’re both right. Marketing to people in general, marketing to businesses who could benefit by being early adopters, and marketing to government at all levels should be an ongoing intertwined continuum. Somewhere along the way will come the critical mass- the tipping point- where everybody thinks they have to be on board the bandwagon.

This is in the context of a self-funding sales organization with local, state, regional, and national offices. Their tasks include developing relationships with the elected officials and their staffers, who know precisely what needs to be done and where the power is in that area, but lack the funding and can’t raise taxes. The initial monetization would not come from FF, but by gathering, filtering, and publishing information online, which is already a multi-billion dollar industry.

Tightly coupled with that is selling Search Engine Optimization services, which comes down to writing and publishing.

I agree wholeheartedly that we don’t want the people who brought us ITER and the NIF funding FF. Thats for career government physicists, not us.

JimmyT
    Participant

Here’s what we are up against, and how I see my role and the role of this forum in this project:

There are quite a few special interest groups who will be opposed to this technology once they come to the realization that it is actually going to work. These groups include: the coal industry, the oil industry, the solar and wind power industry, probably the nuclear (fission) industry, and last but not least much of the global warming crowd (the fraction of it who really just want power and money).

Most of the special interests who have much to gain from the introduction of this technology don’t exist yet. Because the industries that they represent do not exist yet.

The single group who probably has the most to gain from this technology, and does exist, is the energy consuming public. And it’s our job to counter the lies and distortions and misrepresentations which the opposition groups (mentioned in paragraph 2 above) are sure to come up with. If we can convince enough people (using honest arguments) how truly benign and beneficial this technology is. The opponents won’t stand a chance.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Excellent analysis, Jimmy. The only part I’m not convinced about is that the general public alone will be enough to overcome entrenched opposition with existing lobbying relationships.

I know how constipated my plan is, because I spent several days modeling it on my whiteboard a few months ago. Its based on how John F Kennedy’s campaign was organized, and comes down to creating and delivering upon the perception that the FF community, both here and in the business world, delivers the best value in return for the least [ personal fear of this group ] risk.

Rematog had a really great idea in the cooling load thread about Division of Responsibility. Somebody (Siemens, GE, Westinghouse) has to sell all the transformers, at least until they see the insatiable reactor market. Who’s going to make those x-ray collectors? that’s not for DIY’ers, any more than the Gyrotrons to convert the ion stream into pulses. In this model, FF becomes the hub of hundreds, maybe thousands of aftermarket parts and services, in addition to the industries that we haven’t even thought of yet, just like the PC did back in ’81.

JimmyT
    Participant

Aero,

The PC’s! Excellent analogy. I hadn’t thought of that one.

Aeronaut
    Participant

It gets even better, Jimmy. When the PC came out, whoda thunk the Internet would be this big, and within that niche, that Google and Search Engine Optimization were even possible.

That’s the type of disruptive change that we’re looking at here, because the Space Elevator will debut around the time that FF reaches a commercial level of maturity. Incremental improvements to the tether strength make it just a matter of time. Raising the guesstimated 10 to 50G$ is considered the huge challenge over there.

Just for fun and games, let’s postulate a world where FF provides over half the world’s electric and heat needs, its light enough for large aircraft (lighter than the full fuel load), that the heat output can almost replace jet fuel, AND we have a Space Elevator.

Now that’s disruptive growth. Its a whole ‘nother economy that exists on to Visionaries and Utopians, lol. My guess is that with 100 of the right type of visionary on board, we’re off to the races!

The alternative is to sell to every man, woman, and child in most of the world, from the beginning instead of the end-game, where the snowball effect morphs into the bandwagon effect.

Something else I’m considering in my plan is marketing to people that haven’t even been born yet. I.e.- a 100+ year marketing plan.

Lerner
    Participant

Jimmy it seems to me is right on target–as the famous Machiavelli quote goes :

“It must be considered that there is nothing more difficult to carry out nor more doubtful of success nor more dangerous to handle than to initiate a new order of things; for the reformer has enemies in all those who profit by the old order, and only lukewarm defenders in all those who would profit by the new order; this lukewarmness arising partly from the incredulity of mankind who does not truly believe in anything new until they actually have experience of it. “

What we need to do is to make the reality of the new–focus fusion–credible. Then we will have devoted supporters in all those who “would profit by the new order” which is the vast majority of humanity.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Nobody ever said it was going to be easy, Eric. By the same token, why make it harder than it needs to be?

I got a copy of Scientific American Earth 3.0 at WalMart yesterday. Page 64 starts a short excerpt from Auden Schendler’s new book “Getting Green Done”, which gives “my” concept the name of Asymmetric Warfare. In short, our job is to find out how we can make our small actions have a disproportionally large impact.

Article marketing, targeted to Fortune 1,000ish CEO and board members, seems the logical place to start. Targeting the WSJ and Inc Magazine can reach the new generation CEOs that little or none of the world has heard of. Yet.

Rezwan
    Participant

Eric! A machiavellian streak. Who knew?

Article marketing, targeted to Fortune 1,000ish CEO and board members, seems the logical place to start. Targeting the WSJ and Inc Magazine can reach the new generation CEOs that little or none of the world has heard of. Yet.

Hmm. Perhaps we should start a new forum on article marketing, get suggestions for specific articles, etc.

OK, just did – try this thread: https://focusfusion.org/index.php/forums/viewthread/291/

Aeronaut
    Participant

Many thanx, Rezwan. I just posted a mini-tutorial over there giving a rough demo of what article marketing is, what it looks like, and how it works.

Brian H
    Participant

Lerner wrote: Jimmy it seems to me is right on target–as the famous Machiavelli quote goes :

“It must be considered that there is nothing more difficult to carry out nor more doubtful of success nor more dangerous to handle than to initiate a new order of things; for the reformer has enemies in all those who profit by the old order, and only lukewarm defenders in all those who would profit by the new order; this lukewarmness arising partly from the incredulity of mankind who does not truly believe in anything new until they actually have experience of it. “

What we need to do is to make the reality of the new–focus fusion–credible. Then we will have devoted supporters in all those who “would profit by the new order” which is the vast majority of humanity.

Eric;
    I’ve come to appreciate the original sequence you laid out (as I understand it). That is:
    1) Proof of concept (current experiments)
    2) Prototype refinement and design (3-yr engineering effort)
    3) Offering manufacturing licenses world-wide at affordable prices.

I think this simple sequence is unstoppable, if each step is actually accomplished. Publicity and support and yadda-yadda will be superfluous. The economics will provide all. Consider the position of any power supplier, user, or country on finding that a competitor has undertaken to cut their power costs by 95%. The rush to avoid being left WAY behind will be immediate and vigorous.

JimmyT
    Participant

The hope is to shave a little time off that engineering time. There is no reason that some work on the energy capture portions of the prototype couldn’t be done concurrent with the fusion device.

Aeronaut
    Participant

JimmyT wrote: The hope is to shave a little time off that engineering time. There is no reason that some work on the energy capture portions of the prototype couldn’t be done concurrent with the fusion device.

That’s what I’m hoping to do, Jimmy. Why not set it up where our first few licenses go to outfits like GE, Siemens, and Westinghouse and let them do the engineering? Each will have their own approach, and it goes down three times faster.

Brian H
    Participant

Aeronaut wrote:

The hope is to shave a little time off that engineering time. There is no reason that some work on the energy capture portions of the prototype couldn’t be done concurrent with the fusion device.

That’s what I’m hoping to do, Jimmy. Why not set it up where our first few licenses go to outfits like GE, Siemens, and Westinghouse and let them do the engineering? Each will have their own approach, and it goes down three times faster.
    Bad idea. How do you make their advances available to others? They would be pushing hard to somehow make the technology proprietary (i.e., their own).

Open affordable licensing is a far better idea, probably under an Open Source agreement that a condition of using the license is that any advances in engineering or design be made freely available to all other licensees. Remember, GE et al. would be almost solely motivated by the desire to “capture” all future revenue streams possible, by any means available.

_______

Which brings up another point. It will be almost impossible to “police” the world to prevent reverse-engineered and pirated versions of FF generators from popping up. Operating and creating a collaborative group, who have paid an affordable fee to join and get access to each other’s engineering, is the best inducement to use the real thing rather than rip-offs.

It is worth remembering that AFAIK Eric’s motivations are primarily to resolve the world’s energy/pollution difficulties, secondarily to become famous and acknowledged, and only thirdly to become rich! 😉 :cheese: :coolgrin:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.