The Focus Fusion Society Forums Lawrenceville Plasma Physics Experiment (LPPX) as of November 2011, what is the maximum magnetic field strength achieved by FoFu-1?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    vansig
    Participant

By chance, I got into a discussion of fusion schemes last night, with a person already familiar with DPF, Polywell, Z-pinch, etc.
    who believes there will be upcoming issues w.r.t magnetic field strengths in FoFu-1. I urged him to post his specific question here, but he declined, admitting only a “wait and see” attitude. Well, perhaps i can find the info he wants?

what is the maximum magnetic field strength already achieved by FoFu-1, during any pinch?

KeithPickering
    Participant

LPP still has the 0.4 gigagauss number posted on their website. I haven’t seen anything different anywhere.

Any one know how the magnetic field was measured? 0.4 Gigagauss is extremely large for a pinch device. A typical pinch radius is ~0.5 cm. The current that FF-1 seems to be operating at right now is ~ 1 MA. B=mu_0*I_peak/(2*pi*r) where B is the magnetic field, mu_0 is the permeability of free space and r is the pinch radius. I calculate a B-field behind the pinch of 0.4 mega gauss. I’ve run across filaments in pinch literature that are 1/10 the pinch diameter but that is only 4 megagauss.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.