Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    MTd2
    Participant

The 12 banks are working now, so why not just injecting the whole thing and see if it works?

Breakable
    Keymaster

While I appreciate your initiative to pry additional details from the LPP team
    could I suggest to tone down the requests, ant let them do their job? 😉
    It is not science 2.0 decade yet, so the workflows of participating in the investigation are not present yet.
    It is possible that you are slowing down the progress instead of speeding it up.
    Regards

MTd2
    Participant

I don’t see how I could slow down anything. In fact, if the project is not a complete secret, it means being open to a little bit review and thus actually making it less prone to mistakes, and thus speeding it up.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Breakable wrote: While I appreciate your initiative to pry additional details from the LPP team
    could I suggest to tone down the requests, ant let them do their job? 😉
    It is not science 2.0 decade yet, so the workflows of participating in the investigation are not present yet.
    It is possible that you are slowing down the progress instead of speeding it up.
    Regards

I for one have learned a lot from the conversations MT’s started and pursued recently. Granted, the tone could be far more collaborative, but I doubt these threads have slowed anything down, since these have been the majority of the board’s activity recently. MT’s one of the apparently rare few people who have the Lee simulator, enough of FoFu’s electrical specs, the determination, and the fusion physics to meld the two.

zapkitty
    Participant

The typos in Lerner-hakase’s posts would indicate to me that he’s just jotting off answers offhand when he feels it is needed rather than that he’s laboring under an excessive burden of questioning. And as Aeronaut has pointed out they have been very informative answers 🙂

I’d suggest that he answers questions that he think needs answering when he gets a spare moment… if someone else on the team hasn’t gotten there first. The other side of that coin would be that good manners indicates that we should appreciate the time spent on such… and we also should understand that at other times he may not wish to spare the effort.

Just my 2 quatloos

MTd2
    Participant

I wish I could put my tone in a more collaborative way… In fact, I feel pretty much handcuffed given that the much material available to understand how LPPX aims to achieve their objectives is not written down anywhere or is not available outside the lab`s oral tradition (this is quite normal in any research group).

For example, before downloading Lee`s simulator and asking here a lot of questions, I just thought that just the discharge of a lot of energy with a great voltage would create a lot of current, that is, 2.8MA. But this is not what is required. What is needed is a pressure of 200Torr and such pressure was never achieved by any Dense Focus Fusion device. This is an order of magnitude higher than what is usually assumed as the highest pressure that allows the formation of the pinch.

So, LPPX is different not only because of the axial field, but mainly because of the extremely high pressure of the fuel gas.

So, I`d like to know why is so dangerous to increase the pressure fast?

Lerner
    Participant

The typos are just the way I type if I don’t use spell check. None of this stuff is just oral tradition. It is in our papers and the patent. But these are written for plasma physicists, not for the general public, so may be hard to follow.

MTd2
    Participant

I guess I was not clear. I referred to the difficulty in achieving 200Torr, not the modeling by itself. What are the technical obstacles to do that? It isn`t clear in the documents I found so far on LPPX. This point causes doubts even with Sing Lee ( I had an email exchange with him). I sent you a Private Message with the last 2 emails. It may be important to you that you look at them ( this is not me prying on results, but something else)…

JShell
    Participant

MTd2 wrote: I wish I could put my tone in a more collaborative way… In fact, I feel pretty much handcuffed given that the much material available to understand how LPPX aims to achieve their objectives is not written down anywhere or is not available outside the lab`s oral tradition (this is quite normal in any research group).

For example, before downloading Lee`s simulator and asking here a lot of questions, I just thought that just the discharge of a lot of energy with a great voltage would create a lot of current, that is, 2.8MA. But this is not what is required. What is needed is a pressure of 200Torr and such pressure was never achieved by any Dense Focus Fusion device. This is an order of magnitude higher than what is usually assumed as the highest pressure that allows the formation of the pinch.

So, LPPX is different not only because of the axial field, but mainly because of the extremely high pressure of the fuel gas.

So, I`d like to know why is so dangerous to increase the pressure fast?

Well, it seems like if increasing the pressure has never been done before, it might be nice to get some stats on whats happening to the pinch as the pressure is increased . . . so if any corrections or adjustments are needed, they can know what might help in the high pressure environment.

If you have ideas about how the process could go faster, suggest them! I don’t know lots of whats going on but I feel comfortable getting a sense of it as the research proceeds. I don’t think I have enough information to know what goes into the strategic kind of research questions.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.