Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    tcg
    Participant

I would like to call your attention to an article in Discover magazine titled “The Long and Winding Road to Fusion”. [here it is on the FPA site – admin] In it the work of a researcher named Glen Wurden is described, a clever bit of tecnology, to be sure. It begins with a test firing which resulted in an explosion, wrecking part of his lab. This project’s great goal is to fuse D-T fuel, and they don’t seem to have gotten very close yet.

Don’t I know of someone who has already fused Deuterium and is moving on to more sophisticated fuels?

The intent of the article seems to be to present another approach to fusion power other than the NIF or Tokamak, but the article ends on a clearly pessimistic note, talking about multi decade timeframes and “miracles” they would need. They did make passing mention of two pB11 projects, but nothing about the DPF. Unfortunately, the same lugubrious tones pervade most of the writings about fusion these days.

Clearly these people need to have some good news to chew on. Perhaps soon they might get some.

Rezwan
    Participant

Glen is a great guy. If only we could get him on our board of advisors.

It has, indeed, been a long and winding road to fusion, and it’s still not clear how much longer this road will wind. A definite message challenge.

tcg wrote: The intent of the article seems to be to present another approach to fusion power other than the NIF or Tokamak, but the article ends on a clearly pessimistic note, talking about multi decade timeframes and “miracles” they would need. They did make passing mention of two pB11 projects, but nothing about the DPF. Unfortunately, the same lugubrious tones pervade most of the writings about fusion these days.

Clearly these people need to have some good news to chew on. Perhaps soon they might get some.

Good news would be good for all groups.

Just spoke with someone at LIFE (Laser Inertial Fusion Energy) who noted that success in one fusion endeavor would breed it everywhere. A solid achievement with the lasers might open up funding all around. The problem he sees is that fusion is associated with failure, not success.

The folks at LIFE are hoping for ignition within a couple of years. And they are hoping that this will encourage the field of fusion as a whole. If it’s possible one way, it may become more worthwhile to pursue other avenues. A solid public win might ease up the constricted funding scenario.

Rezwan
    Participant

Win for all, and all for win.

Tulse
    Participant

Rezwan wrote: success in one fusion endeavor would breed it everywhere.

I very much doubt that’s true for Big Fusion if LPP or EMC2 or Tri-Alpha or General Fusion or any of the other low-cost “alt-fusion” approaches succeed. Who is going to pay tens of billions for a huge facility to do what someone has accomplished for a few million in the equivalent of a garage?

Aeronaut
    Participant

Tulse wrote:

success in one fusion endeavor would breed it everywhere.

I very much doubt that’s true for Big Fusion if LPP or EMC2 or Tri-Alpha or General Fusion or any of the other low-cost “alt-fusion” approaches succeed. Who is going to pay tens of billions for a huge facility to do what someone has accomplished for a few million in the equivalent of a garage?

The big budgets are consumed by cryogenic electromagnets, which give Polywell and the CBFR the ability to scale output with magnet size. Since Polywell’s funding is from the US Navy, they’d rather make 50MW or whatever a ship’s type needs using a single plant rather than stack 5MW to 25MW modules.

Win for all, and all for win.

Rezwan
    Participant

Tulse wrote:

Think big, my friend! If LPPX succeeds, we’ll have surpluses of energy galore, and anyone can take on these fantastically complex engineering challenges just for kicks : )

It’s not just about the energy – they are exploring all kinds of issues that could have applications elsewhere when we hit the “beyond” stage. Liquid walls for the reactor? Sounds like we’re headed to interesting shielding properties for the future.

We need to make a list of spinoff products envisioned from the type of research they’re doing on the Tokamak and NIF. It’s not just about the energy.

Brian H
    Participant

Rezwan wrote:

Think big, my friend! If LPPX succeeds, we’ll have surpluses of energy galore, and anyone can take on these fantastically complex engineering challenges just for kicks : )

It’s not just about the energy – they are exploring all kinds of issues that could have applications elsewhere when we hit the “beyond” stage. Liquid walls for the reactor? Sounds like we’re headed to interesting shielding properties for the future.

We need to make a list of spinoff products envisioned from the type of research they’re doing on the Tokamak and NIF. It’s not just about the energy.

Yes; it’s quite a mindset-change for the world to contemplate surpluses, isn’t it? I suspect it will cause millions of neurotic anxiety attacks and various wild psychotic breaks! I can think of a few candidates in my own (rather leftist/anti-optimism) close relatives and family … :bug:

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.