The Focus Fusion Society Forums Dense Plasma Focus (DPF) Science and Applications What is the smallest, lightest and most simple pinching plasmoid, theoretically?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MTd2
    Participant

I’d like help to figure out the most simple plasmoid. So, I thought about a single H2+ molecule with an extremely strong magnetic field generated by making the hydrogens rotate very fast around its center of mass. The rotation could be achieved by applying a fast varying magnetic field, which make the H2+ rotate by Faraday’s law, and then slowly turning it off. The current generated by the protons should go until it would go up to Landau’s fundamental level, just like Lerner proposed for the pB11 plasmoid, and keeping the system stable by trapping the magnetic flux. The system would contract by transferring kinetic energy to the EM field, until 1.either an equilibrium is reached, 2. the hydrogen fuses with the electron yielding a neutron, 2 protons 3. fusing when getting close enough, when one of them emits a anti electron.

The other possibility is the ion H-, with a similar reasoning.

Is any of these possible?

Thanks in advance.

I was under the impression that a plasmoid can form with any atoms so hydrogen atoms could be used. I don’t know of a way to spin the atoms once they ionize to the speeds you desire. The problem with alternating magnetic fields in a plasma is the plasma shields out the fields on a fast time scale which would be required to spin up the plasma. I know that one can spin a plasma up at 100 km/s but beyond that is pretty challenging with any substantial density. Instabilities and power considerations usually limit you. Even if you get the speed you desire, keeping the plasma contained is a problem. Tokamek folks have been working this problem for a long time with little luck. A pinch seems to be the only solution but I am not familiar with the scaling of the plasmoids down to lower current plasma focus or Z-pinch devices.

MTd2
    Participant

To tell you the truth, I am not so much interested in knowing a practical method as knowing if it is possible to arrange a pinching configuration, that is, 2 hydrogen atoms bound by a frozen magnetic field that slowly contracts. 2 hydrogen atoms, only, cannot be bound due their opposite charges. But, if you put them to orbit each other very fast, couldn’t they be bound by a magnetic field, like a quantized plasmoid?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.