The Focus Fusion Society Forums Focus Fusion Cafe What does cross section for fusion means

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    PlasmaLord
    Participant

The concept cross section what does it really means. Is that the maximum area for a fusion reaction to take place with a certain probability. Like the chans is more than 0,5 for fusion between boron and proton at 1 biljon K in an area less then 1*E-22 cm2. Then of course it must also be one proton and one boron nuclei in that area.

Or am I wrong here. If so help me out.

Breakable
    Keymaster

Cross section is more probabilistic due to particle-wave duality, but basically yes, the bigger the cross-section the more likely a fusion reaction will occur considering there is enough energy to overcome the coulomb barrier.

PlasmaLord
    Participant

Cross section is more probabilistic due to particle-wave duality, but basically yes, the bigger the cross-section the more likely a fusion reaction will occur considering there is enough energy to overcome the coulomb barrier.

What I want to know is what and how you calculate it. If cross section is 10 exp -20 what does it means. An very simple calculated example is enough for me to understand I think.

Francisl
    Participant

I don’t know about simple calculations but here is a database of reactions: https://www-nds.iaea.org/exfor/endf.htm

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.