The Focus Fusion Society Forums Financing Fusion US National Academies panel recommends expanding alternative nuclear fusion experiments

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mchargue
    Participant

From the synopsis…

(PhysOrg.com) — The National Academies in the United States, made up of the four organizations: the National Academies of Science and Engineering, the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council, has issued an interim report in the National Academies Press, advocating that additional research be put into studying alternative technologies for imploding fuel used in fusion reactions.

This may be something that can help finance the experiment – especially in light of recent experiments confirming theory, and the publication of results.

Ivy Matt
    Participant

http://www.physorg.com/news/2012-03-national-academies-panel-alternative-nuclear.html

http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=13371

I’m guessing imploding fuel in the plasmoid created by a DPF is not quite what they have in mind.

Ivy Matt
    Participant
    willit
    Participant

I believe it to be sad that the USA has taken a stance of watching to see if anyone else can do it before actually making an effort. are we not the ones that stand up first at a challenge and forge ahead? when did we become the benchwarmers of the world?
    if we are going to get a fire under our butt it will be at 11:30 with time (resources) dwindling and economic crisis looming.
    let the bickering begin and spend everything we have left on programs with no promise or results. there must be a better way. I’m glad people in Pennsylvania have the huevos to move their dream forward. lets find a way to help them out.

Rezwan
    Participant

willit wrote:
    if we are going to get a fire under our butt it will be at 11:30 with time (resources) dwindling and economic crisis looming.

Here’s something to stoke the fire: http://aenr.org

jamesr
    Participant

I wish all the rhetoric could be less nationalistic. Energy is a global issue, grassroots & regional campaigns on specific issues have there place. However I think to really get the message across of the scale of the problem, any campaign needs to be global and inclusive in its nature. Individual nation states do not have the power or will to implement the kind of changes needed.

I know FFS and FEL are based in the USA, but why not frame any response to this kind of report from a national body to encourage collaboration with other nations, EU & UN bodies, multinational companies etc.

Also with regard to military spending, although the US military, via the DOE has spent a large amount of money on NIF and the associate computer modeling research into inertial fusion energy. A lot of the key data is classified, hampering civilian research as they do not have to required information.
    There are lots of researchers around the world that would like to work on inertial fusion but can’t because of proliferation paranoia, limiting access to codes and data.
    I’m sure there are classified codes out there which would be a great start in modeling a DPF plasmoid, but anything that can cope with high density plasmas that include radiation feedback terms (ie opacity) tend to be classified.
    If you want people to sign a pledge it should include any research paid for by taxpayers money (from any country) should be freely available to the entire world.

The astronomy community is a good model – for most projects now, the group who put up the money for an experiment/satellite etc get first dibs on the data, then after a set period eg. 6months, or after first journal publication it is open to everyone.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.