The Focus Fusion Society Forums Focus Fusion Cafe Total energy conversion efficiencies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Engineer
    Participant

I would like to see economies of scale for a-neutron fusion processes. For example, at what point in scale is the production of neutrons significant? If there is probability for neutrons, then that sizes the system. Some neutrons might be ok for conversionsion of Li to H3, for instance.
    Also, there is a lot of high energy EM that might be converted to electricity by photovoltaic means. Is this part of the efficiency calculations?

Francisl
    Participant

Check the links on this page and this page.

Engineer
    Participant

I looked at the links and was pleased to see that most neutrons might be expected along the beam axis in the a-neutron reaction. Also, found papers at ASC for photovoltaic conversion of x-rays with Pb compounds. I would like to see an engineering study to determine optimum size. Maybe too soon, but such analysis would help with financing.

bcreighton7
    Participant

Engineer wrote: Also, found papers at ASC for photovoltaic conversion of x-rays with Pb compounds. I would like to see an engineering study to determine optimum size. Maybe too soon, but such analysis would help with financing.

Lerner already has patents for a photovoltaic X-ray device. But I am sure would be open to more efficient processes. Yeah, it may seem early for that to be put into play, as lots of nuclear engineering has to be worked thru first to get the reactor up and going, but I’m sure any “spare” down-time used to perhaps make the device more efficient would be well spent as it is one of the main components needed to make the reactor commercially viable. I would think optimum size is going to vary on the compound or molecular structure used.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.