Homepage Forums Story, Art, Song, Self Expression Thoughts on the Message

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I have long been interested in fusion energy, and found focus fusion in my personal research on the subject. Most people however need to be lead to it, and need to have lines of relevance drawn to explain to them the significance of it.

My youngest daughter has her birthday this weekend, and she has some of her friends over. She and my oldest daughter are in high school now, and they and their friends are taking physics and chemistry courses, and are learning more of what the world they live in. We all got to talking, and the subject of global warming came up. Thats when I piped up about focus fusion.

I asked them, “What if we had a form of nuclear energy that made no nuclear waste, and very little radiation, and used a non-radioactive fuel that we had so much of, we’d practically never run out?” To my surprise, their eyes bugged out.

I then gave them a quick version of the history and tech of focus fusion, and a bit of an education about the politics of science. There was a few howls of conspiracy-theory and “our president is so stupid,” but generally I got some good questions about how it works. The main thing is that, while they were aware of the phenomena of fusion, they were not aware of the work being done in the field to make it happen, and what it could mean if achieved.

I think that the main problem we have isn’t convincing people that focus fusion is the best way to fusion power. Its convincing people that fusion power is the best way to secure our energy future, and focus fusion is our best bet in achieving it in the near future.

Somehow I think we need to get that message across. We can’t assume people know anything, except that their energy bills are too high, and the climate is getting worse, and nuclear fission is too dangerous to think about. If we can attack those three things, and present focus fusion research as a real way out in our marketing efforts, then I think that will attract enough donors to get this project the resources it needs to succeed.

I think that the main problem we have isn�t convincing people that focus fusion is the best way to fusion power. Its convincing people that fusion power is the best way to secure our energy future, and focus fusion is our best bet in achieving it in the near future.

I agree. These are intertwined concepts. The “Energy Crisis” article is a starting point for an animation that makes a case for fusion as the solution to the energy crisis.

The Conventional Fusion vs. Focus Fusion article, if made visual with pictures or better yet, in an animation, would go a long way to getting the message across. There are many visuals in there, such as a visual comparison of the tokamak vs. a focus fusion reactor – the sheer scale of it.

I haven’t turned these into a storyboard yet, but that’s the general direction of the case to be made.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.