The Focus Fusion Society Forums Focus Fusion Cafe The scariest successful fusion future….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    DerekShannon
    Participant

….might be the one portrayed in this video from Max Planck, in which Germans of the year 2100 are indoctrinated in **THE** WAY to fusion *and* forced to speak English!

Or perhaps in this bizarro future, the English are indoctrinated in FOFU and forced to speak German!?! Only time will tell…

Breakable
    Keymaster

I scared of 2 things:
    1)War fueled by fusion power
    2)Runaway pollution and garbage mountains when manufacturing costs become unimportant

zapkitty
    Participant

Breakable wrote: I scared of 2 things:
    1)War fueled by fusion power

Inevitable… unless you can somehow find a way to make war less profitable for the oligarchs than maintaining peace.

If a tool is available humans will use it for war… that is, if the result is not immediate destruction. Fusion powered weapons will not be equated with nuclear bombs or germ warfare and will be used.

Breakable wrote: 2)Runaway pollution and garbage mountains when manufacturing costs become unimportant

Welcome to China 2010. Again you rail against the inevitable… and they don’t even have fusion power yet.

Solve the problems that make people do that sort of thing even when they don’t have fusion power and you’ll have the tools needed to steer them clear of continuing to do it when they do have fusion power… one of the tools undoubtedly being the advent of fusion power itself…

Henning
    Participant

DerekShannon wrote: …which Germans of the year 2100 are indoctrinated in **THE** WAY to fusion *and* forced to speak English!

Zhat’s zhe worst part of it! Oh horror!

That indoctrination we’re already getting by switching from Diplom(Made in Germany) to Bachelor and Master…

Aeronaut
    Participant

ALL STOP!!!

Some of us elders can remember a time when real people with real money in their wallets looked to their own communities to solve their own problems. The capitol was basically a place to send your taxes. Nowadays, at least Washington seems to be dead serious about removing any vestige of independent problem-solving ability, along with national identities as sweeteners.

Se habla poquito espanol, picked up a little here and there living in Texas for 15 years. If I really wanted to learn that language, I would. I resent being told to learn a language as much as I do being told I’m being forced to quit smoking “for my own good.” or that I have to ask permission to buy a house or a car or fund a business (think credit score). I’m sure our international friends feel pretty much the same about their countries, languages, cultures, and so on.

[end rant]

Rezwan
    Participant

Wakarimashita!

Anyway, back to the movie. Great production values. Although I don’t know why schools of the future have no budget for chairs. I can’t imagine standing through long lectures. Maybe they could give lectures while students do tai chi. A mind-body connection thing.

The ending of the movie is wide open. He tells the students to finish the story. That ending could be the massive ITER being trumped by a tiny DPF; or any number of other ways to innovate to smaller, more elegant advanced fuels reactors.

I love how clearly this presents ITER, but they need to talk about advanced fuels beyond the ITER horizon.

I posted this movie on the website proper.

zapkitty
    Participant

Aeronaut wrote: ALL STOP!!!

… errrrr… stop what? … as near as I can tell that was a response to my post?

If so I’m not sure what that was about… I have an idea but I want to make sure it’s the right idea before I try and answer 🙂

Aeronaut
    Participant

Sorry, Zap, I didn’t follow Derrick’s link until just now. Sounded too much like a nazi regime. But their concept, set, and story set the bar high. I’m glad they provided credits.

Rezwan, imagine the furniture savings and productivity gains of equipping nearly half a million workstations with those podiums. 🙂

emmetb
    Participant

Rezwan, imagine the furniture savings and productivity gains of equipping nearly half a million workstations with those podiums.

Not to mention the savings in color dye, once we strip our youth from having an individual personality, and dress them accordingly.

Aeronaut
    Participant

emmetb wrote:

Rezwan, imagine the furniture savings and productivity gains of equipping nearly half a million workstations with those podiums.

Not to mention the savings in color dye, once we strip our youth from having an individual personality, and dress them accordingly.

That’s the scary part, Emmet. Who picks the values, curriculum, and so on? Will most people ever know who’s shaping their thoughts and or their offspring’s thoughts? Not likely, imo.

emmetb
    Participant

That’s the scary part, Emmet. Who picks the values, curriculum, and so on? Will most people ever know who’s shaping their thoughts and or their offspring’s thoughts? Not likely, imo.

No reason to be too pessimistic in this respect, Aeronaut. Education is a key ingredient here. The democratization of knowledge through the internet is another. Of course… spreading propaganda like this little movieclip is also made much easier through the internet. But at least it levels the playingfield. FFS can now post a video response to this clip and so get the discussion started on youtube. What can we do more to promote our cause? In the end people will have to make up their own minds. Do you support the dark side of centrally controlled and distributed power (and condemn yourself to wearing that awful, androgenic attire)? Or do you support the rebelion of distributed empowerment (and get to wear one of those cool, colorful FFS shirts)? 😉

Aeronaut
    Participant

Not pessimistic, just recalling something I saw on the evening news a few months back that the Texas school system, being the largest buyer of textbooks in the US, largely determines what goes into textbooks. They were thinking about revising something or other in a social studies book, which will ripple out as “fact” with no review. That’s not exactly the way I was taught that this country works :-S

On a more positive note, can anybody link me to a place that sells or makes those cool touchscreen monitors? I’ve wanted one of those ever since I saw Iron Man!

Henning
    Participant

Aeronaut wrote: On a more positive note, can anybody link me to a place that sells or makes those cool touchscreen monitors? I’ve wanted one of those ever since I saw Iron Man!

I think they are just glass props with computer generated graphics in post production. Like the whole churchy location they’re in. I think the whole movie has been shot on a greenscreen.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Henning wrote:

On a more positive note, can anybody link me to a place that sells or makes those cool touchscreen monitors? I’ve wanted one of those ever since I saw Iron Man!

I think they are just glass props with computer generated graphics in post production. Like the whole churchy location they’re in. I think the whole movie has been shot on a greenscreen.

Thanx, Hemming. I was kind of thinking that might be the case. Maybe we should “shoot” our vids in Iron Man’s basement prototyping shop?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.