Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Rezwan
    Participant

Folks, check out this article on “The Fundamental parameter space of controlled thermonuclear fusion“. It’s written for physicists, so we need some help bridging the gap of explaining this for a less technical audience. It sets up a useful framework to help us plot more fusion contenders on.

Per Breakable, below:

While I have a lot of faith in FF, still I want to make sure it is the most approachable option.
    So I just had an idea about mapping out the FULL parameter space for fusion energy.
    Basically reconsidering all the forces, fuels and conditions in which fusion can happen so that we can map out the landscape of fusion research and maybe even find any low hanging apples or at least compare their ripeness.
    Discuss?

jamesr
    Participant

Just a quick note.. I know you put the link on there, but when citing articles or papers from journals can you include the full reference for example:
    I. R. Lindemuth, R. E. Siemon, Am. J. Phys., Vol. 77, No. 5, May 2009

Otherwise its not obvious if the paper is a new one or not.

MTd2
    Participant

I found this paper. The content seems to match the abstract.

http://fusionenergy.lanl.gov/Documents/MTF/Why_MTF/Why-MTF-Comments.html

Rezwan
    Participant

Roger that, Jamesr.

MTd2, that’s an older paper of theirs about MTF. This 2009 paper was designed to spell out the parameter space. I suppose it packages the info differently.

MTd2
    Participant

Yes, it’s older. But maybe, based on that, you could make a good summary of the new things available on the new paper.

Breakable
    Keymaster

While I have a lot of faith in FF, still I want to make sure it is the most approachable option.
    So I just had an idea about mapping out the FULL parameter space for fusion energy.
    Basically reconsidering all the forces, fuels and conditions in which fusion can happen so that we can map out the landscape of fusion research and maybe even find any low hanging apples or at least compare their ripeness.
    Discuss?

Rezwan
    Participant

Yes, exactly. That’s what we need to anchor our “Contenders” section in. I had set up a forum topic to do just that – https://focusfusion.org/index.php/forums/viewthread/784 – but it didn’t take off.

I should merge these two threads.

I know – I will also put a sidebar in the article that says “action required: Help map out the rest of the fusion parameters as well”.

Rezwan
    Participant

OK, I added the “action blurb” (design note: we need to make those more visually distinctive and build the theme through the website. Lots of actions to coordinate).

Also, a while back I set up a wiki – and mentioned it in a post, but nothing seemed to come of it. Here is that link again, perhaps this is a place to use for working on educational documents. https://focusfusion.org/index.php/wiki

FYI, we are in the middle of coming up with a grant proposal on making an educational module for focus fusion, in which we put it in context with other approaches – a hyperlinked knowledge map, with room to grow. Using our approach to FF as a model that other fusion alternatives can use. The outline we’re developing is pretty useful. I’ll put that up and then we can work to fill in the content and expand the themes.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Rezwan wrote: OK, I added the “action blurb” (design note: we need to make those more visually distinctive and build the theme through the website. Lots of actions to coordinate).

Also, a while back I set up a wiki – and mentioned it in a post, but nothing seemed to come of it. Here is that link again, perhaps this is a place to use for working on educational documents. https://focusfusion.org/index.php/wiki

FYI, we are in the middle of coming up with a grant proposal on making an educational module for focus fusion, in which we put it in context with other approaches – a hyperlinked knowledge map, with room to grow. Using our approach to FF as a model that other fusion alternatives can use. The outline we’re developing is pretty useful. I’ll put that up and then we can work to fill in the content and expand the themes.

Great strategic move. Back in the 80’s, Intel processors were by far the easiest ones to get detailed information about- so they earned top of the mind status in an entire generation of engineers.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.