The Focus Fusion Society Forums Focus Fusion Cafe The Free Alpha Laser.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tasmodevil44
    Participant

In one of my previous posts, I suggested the possibility of a free alpha laser that works on a somewhat similar princple to a free electron laser. Only instead of using a beam of negatively charged electrons to amplify a laser beam, it would employ an energetic beam of positively charged alpha particles from a focus fusion device to serve much the same purpose.

Among the many uses for such a device considered are faster rates of deep well drilling through hard rock, boring tunnels through mountains and other construction work, and for solar sailing spacecraft operation in conjunction with an onboard focus fusion thruster.

I’d like to hear some feedback from people out there as to what other possible uses or applications such a potentially extremely powerful fusion – fed alpha laser might be good for.

vansig
    Participant

Tasmodevil44 wrote: In one of my previous posts, I suggested the possibility of a free alpha laser that works on a somewhat similar princple to a free electron laser. Only instead of using a beam of negatively charged electrons to amplify a laser beam, it would employ an energetic beam of positively charged alpha particles from a focus fusion device to serve much the same purpose.

Among the many uses for such a device considered are faster rates of deep well drilling through hard rock, boring tunnels through mountains and other construction work, and for solar sailing spacecraft operation in conjunction with an onboard focus fusion thruster.

I’d like to hear some feedback from people out there as to what other possible uses or applications such a potentially extremely powerful fusion – fed alpha laser might be good for.

something like this, perhaps the ion beam, or laser, maybe could make a shock wave modifier for reducing drag in hypersonic flight.

Lerner wrote:
    So that leaves the ion beam. In space it is very hard to aim a charged particle beam because of the earth’s magnetic fields. In air, the beam will just not penetrate very far.

I wonder how far, though.

Aeronaut
    Participant

vansig wrote:

In one of my previous posts, I suggested the possibility of a free alpha laser that works on a somewhat similar princple to a free electron laser. Only instead of using a beam of negatively charged electrons to amplify a laser beam, it would employ an energetic beam of positively charged alpha particles from a focus fusion device to serve much the same purpose.

something like this, perhaps the ion beam, or laser, maybe could make a shock wave modifier for reducing drag in hypersonic flight.

Lerner wrote:
    So that leaves the ion beam. In space it is very hard to aim a charged particle beam because of the earth’s magnetic fields. In air, the beam will just not penetrate very far.

I wonder how far, though.

By hypersonic I assume hydrogen powered like the NASP was supposed to be? That type of plane is big enough to use one or more FF’s at the point of use, say the hottest part of the nose, air intakes, possibly leading edges, where only a cm may be more than enough to solve some significant materials engineering challenges.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.