Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    bcreighton7
    Participant

Hi
    I just joined. I like Dr Lerner’s open attitude, and this particular take on fusion a lot.
    I noticed that this is a 501(c)(3) organization and I presume one of its main functions is to further scientific research, but I haven’t seen anything about donations to the society being tax deductible!

The goals are listed as:

Our organization is focused around the following areas of need:
    Focus Fusion Education and Awareness
    Energy and Beyond: The control of nuclear fusion would solve the worlds energy problems, and then some! But fusion is surprisingly under-explored.
    Policy: Current fusion policy is limiting and needs to be changed to spur more effective exploration.
    Research Support: Researchers need our support as they pursue fusion.

I believe that if the society is actively supporting scientific research, it should be entitled to charity status under 501(c)(3).
    People can then designate the society as a charity they want to support through their Amazon account, and Amazon will donate part of their purchases to the society.
    Am I missing something?

Francisl
    Participant

Are you referring to the AmazonSmile program? It looks like a good program. One of the Administrators can check it out.

Breakable
    Keymaster

Focus Fusion Society is 501c3 non profit, so any donations to it are tax exempt.
    https://www.linkedin.com/company/focus-fusion-society
    However for the purpose of attracting investment Eric Lerner has incorporated Lawrenceville Plasma Physics which is a for-profit.

Ivy Matt
    Participant

I can confirm that the Focus Fusion Society is registered with Amazon Smile. Login to your Amazon.com account through smile.amazon.com, and search for the society. It’s registered in Lafayette, California, not in New Jersey or New York, as you might expect. Select the society, and Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to the FFS.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.