Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hello Everyone.

I have just installed “Snap Shots” on the fusion site. You may notice it now on links. When you hover over them, you get a preview screen. If you just click on the link at the top of the screen, or the image, you will go straight to the link. If you click on the links at the bottom of the window, you go to ads.

I think the preview screen is nifty and makes up for the ads (as long as you’re aware they are ads).

If you find this annoying, and are worried about cookies or anything, you can simply disable the snap shots for your own browser, and you’ll go back to the simple links.

To disable snap shots, just click on the options icon in the upper right corner and opt out.

More info on snap shots: http://www.snap.com/snapshots.php

Let us know what you think about them.

maihem
    Participant

Oh please god no! There are browser plugins for people that like these sorts of things. I don’t understand the use case since you can barely read what pops up anyway.

This just makes the place look messy like on eof those pointless hardware review websites that nobody reads anymore because they are such a niusance.

The problem is that this is a bother for anybody that hasn’t come to the site before and who won’t realise they can opt out because they won’t come to the forums. They’ll just turn and leave and never come back.

It gives entirely the wrong impression.

If you need advertising to aid in funding, just use google adsense and say something nice somewhere like “Thank you for visiting this ad. sponsored site. Your clicks can save the world. Please also consider donating

Well, that was short lived. By popular demand (well, because Eric said so) I’ve removed the snap shots.

I liked them because you didn’t have to leave the site to look at the other pages. Handy for things like wikipedia pages/definitions. I experienced it as a convenience. Outweighed the nuisance factor for me.

But anyway, for those of you who would like the plugin for adding this kind of thing to your own browser (from their faqs ):

Snap Shots Add-On is a browser plug-in that lets you take Snap Shots with you – on whatever sites you visit. It’s easy to install, lightweight and customizable. Go to http://www.snap.com/about/shotsdownload.php to install the Snap Shots Add-On for Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari browsers.

Either way,

Enjoy!

Aeronaut
    Participant

maihem wrote:
    If you need advertising to aid in funding, just use google adsense and say something nice somewhere like “Thank you for visiting this ad. sponsored site. Your clicks can save the world. Please also consider donating

Sorry, Maihem, Google strictly prohibits coming right out and saying “Click the ads”.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.