The Focus Fusion Society Forums Official Announcements Seeking new website design

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rezwan
    Participant

The Focus Fusion Society’s webpage is seeking a better visual identity. We still haven’t found our groove, and we need some user help, especially if you are a fabulous css designer.

Inspired by the css zen garden, what I’d like to do is spend some time streamlining the site so that people can simply propose different css files that will transform the look.

See the css zen garden to see what i mean. Note how you can click on a different view. It’s the exact same html file, but with a different css file. See how easy it is to change the look.

Basically, on the architecture end, this means we need to set the div id’s and classes for the website, and then generate a css file template with those classes. Designers out there can copy the css file and modify it, rename it and send it to us to try out for the site.

We’ll try to do things by the book, just use h1, h2, etc. Actually, we’ll still have to think through all the functionality of the site and different bits that will comprise it. But still, overall, we’ll keep it simple.

OK. Stand by for more on this. Still requires some thinking through on the html side – I still haven’t made it as clean as necessary for this approach.

jamesr
    Participant

I don’t think it will be quite as simple as dropping in a new css. There will be a number of other tweaks necessary to get a consistant look for the forum & control panel.

But yes the power of css is enormous. Its good to have a separate css to handle print and mobile friendly layouts as well (ie low graphics single column).

Have a look at the expression engine Showcase, for more inspiration of what people have done running on this platform.

Its been a while since I’ve done any web development but I’ll try and have a go at one when I’ve finished my project.

Breakable
    Keymaster

In my opinion content and purpose is more important than design. As long as the design is not obstructing the function I have no problem with it, but of course the look of the front page of FF might need some polishing to appeal to the first time visitors. Unfortunately I am not the person with any skills or advice.

blues
    Participant

I have a website that is devoted to a subject unrelated to energy production, and have been seeking a better website platform than I am using (WordPress). I haven’t found one that is really great. Django (not Jango), based on python, looks good, but I don’t have hacker skills sufficient to install and maintain it. There is just not that much out there for people seeking platforms. Also, it is quite easy to make a complete mess by playing around with CSS.

This present site is one of the best-looking I have ever encountered, and if I was using it I wouldn’t change a thing. Unlike most forums, it is easy and pleasant to navigate. So I would just leave it as it is.

Tulse
    Participant

The forums are fine (although the template-y look of the design could be freshened up). However, I find the actual website to be extremely “busy” visually, with way too much stuff on the main page. There is no clear path or (ironically) “focus” for the design, and so I find it a bit bewildering as a visitor. If a redesign is contemplated, I think the first place to start (as always with these kind of projects) is determining what the purpose of the site is, and what are the main messages to be conveyed. Once you’ve got those, they can help guide the design process.

Patientman
    Participant

Are you still considering a new design for your web site? I have many years of experience in design of both web and print. I am looking for a project for the summer and would enjoy working on this type of project. Please contact me if you are still looking for some one.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.