The Focus Fusion Society Forums Environmental Forums Riding the Global Warming Wave

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Rezwan
    Participant

It’s very important to get the word out about Fusion. The concept, though simple and obvious to us, has not yet remotely registered as a viable option to the general public. It doesn’t exist in the collective consciousness. I’m sure a survey will reveal that most people haven’t given any thought to fusion or the possibility of alternatives. This needs to change.

SO….action is required. And repetition. Here’s a weblog-based strategy. I’ve logged on to the Truth Laid Bear website – http://truthlaidbear.com/ which tracks the blogging activity in the country, and hot topics of the day and so forth.

Luckily for us, Richard Branson announced his $billions pledge to fight global warming, so there is a wave of posts on the topic (usually, the chatter on the blogs is all about partisan politics). This is a great opportunity. All we need to do is post comments on these sites, or send emails to the poster to inform them of the overlooked fusion option. This way we’re on topic, and gently redirect the focus away from the usual bickering and onto something new and shiny: Fusion!

I’ve started doing a bit of this. I clicked on the global warming topic and have visited and posted on several websites now.

But a few posts from me isn’t going to do it. Like rain, it just needs a steady drop, drop, drop. It will take a while to saturate the blogosphere. But as they say,

drop by drop it collects, suddenly it’s an ocean.

So, friends of fusion, go forth boldly and post! Ride this global warming wave. Catch them while the topic is hot.

One day, fusion itself will be the hot topic. Right now it’s buried in anonymity.

Rezwan
    Participant

Seriously. This is going to take some time to penetrate the consciousness out there. It reminds me of that bit in Monty Python’s “Meaning of Life” where there are these executives sitting around the board room:

[Large corporate boardroom filled with suited executives]

Exec #1: Item six on the agenda: “The Meaning of Life” Now uh, Harry, you’ve had some thoughts on this.

Exec #2: Yeah, I’ve had a team working on this over the past few weeks, and what we’ve come up with can be reduced to two fundamental concepts. One: People aren’t wearing enough hats. Two: Matter is energy. In the universe there are many energy fields which we cannot normally perceive. Some energies have a spiritual source which act upon a person’s soul. However, this “soul” does not exist ab initio as orthodox Christianity teaches; it has to be brought into existence by a process of guided self-observation. However, this is rarely achieved owing to man’s unique ability to be distracted from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

The execs pause for a moment of apparent contemplation. One leans forward:

Exec #3: What was that about hats again?

Exec #2: Oh, Uh… people aren’t wearing enough.

Exec #1: Is this true?

Exec #4: Certainly. Hat sales have increased but not pari passu, as our research…

Exec #3: [Interrupting] “Not wearing enough”? enough for what purpose?

Exec #5: Can I just ask, with reference to your second point, when you say souls don’t develop because people become distracted…[looking out window]

Exec #5: Has anyone noticed that building there before?

Fusion is also energy, and in a conceptual form that most people are simply not perceiving today!

Aeronaut
    Participant

Thanx for the link, Rezwan. Stupendous promotional tool.

Aeronaut
    Participant

http://subatomicprecision.com is my new site designed to educate and pre-sell politicians, editors, and the general public on all of the tradeoffs involved in whatever their individual energy and environmental Causes may be. I’m writing it so that even 9th graders should be able to understand it and come to the conclusion that FF is the only viable way out of all these messes we’re suddenly in. Suggestions? Comments, please?

rashidas
    Participant

Nice job! Keep up the good work.

Rashidas

Phil’s Dad
    Participant

I should start by declaring that I am a politician with an environment brief. I don’t mind being called a ninth grader (or anything else) as long as you vote for me! (Actually I am post graduate educated in a numerate discipline – but not all politicians are.)

I like what you have done so far but could I suggest it be topped and tailed. Nothing wrong with the introduction but it needs an even shorter abstract telling your audience what you are going to tell them. Then finish off with a few sentences in conclusion telling them what you told them. Did any of that make sense? Politicians like to think they are terribly busy and will not read past the first paragraph it they don’t think it will solve their current problem.

The other thing I would have liked to see is just a few details of the alternatives you have looked at – maybe in the form of a comparison table – which I think would help explain why you prefer this particular solution. (So do I by the way)

Aeronaut
    Participant

Phil’s Dad wrote: I should start by declaring that I am a politician with an environment brief. I don’t mind being called a ninth grader (or anything else) as long as you vote for me! (Actually I am post graduate educated in a numerate discipline – but not all politicians are.)

I like what you have done so far but could I suggest it be topped and tailed. Nothing wrong with the introduction but it needs an even shorter abstract telling your audience what you are going to tell them. Then finish off with a few sentences in conclusion telling them what you told them. Did any of that make sense? Politicians like to think they are terribly busy and will not read past the first paragraph it they don’t think it will solve their current problem.

The other thing I would have liked to see is just a few details of the alternatives you have looked at – maybe in the form of a comparison table – which I think would help explain why you prefer this particular solution. (So do I by the way)

Thanx for the feedback, Phil’s Dad.

Don’t know if I’m using the right angle, but I’m trying to avoid the chance of a greenwashing backlash by focusing on the “renewable energies” smokescreen so that any thinking person will connect the dots to a cleaner environment. Something that isn’t in there yet is the political strategy page(s) selling the concept that any campaign w/o a plan to rapidly integrate FF will get vaporized by a competitor who has one when we start telling time in terms of After Focus Fusion.

I’m going to eliminate all age references in the next edit, which I expect to have up after noon (EST) Monday. Not sure I follow what you mean by “topped and tailed”, but I will work on the lead-in, trail-out, and executive summary. Everybody’s told all the time how busy they are. In the 80’s we were told how stressed-out we were, lol. Still, I made a formal site architecture this morning, which will give the library, as it grows, a consistent and intuitive nature. I want the user to think, but definitely not about site navigation.

I love tables and graphs! Not only are they decorative, they can save a lot of words. Almost forgot, the header’s graphic has changed since you looked. Should look a lot more professional now, and even more when I get rid of the yellow strings in the margins.

Thanx again for the input.

Phil’s Dad
    Participant

Aeronaut,

“topped and tailed” = lead-in, trail-out, and executive summary.
    You’re clearly on top of things. I shall keep watching.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Thanx again, Phil’s Dad. I’m going to do some meatball editing now. Should read a lot better in an hour.

Brian H
    Participant

Aero, I think you’re succumbing to the temptation to over-promise in terms of time. The science phase won’t likely be wrapped till mid ’10, and THEN comes the specifics of generator design and prototyping – 3 yrs. or so. So mid/late 2013 is a safer time to target for availability of proven designs. But keep in mind that that is lightspeed compared to either standard nuclear or green alternatives. Those options won’t have traction for about 10 years, at huge expense.

In other words, FF will be a live option in plenty of time to cut those big expenditures and alternatives off at the knees.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Brian H wrote: Aero, I think you’re succumbing to the temptation to over-promise in terms of time. The science phase won’t likely be wrapped till mid ’10, and THEN comes the specifics of generator design and prototyping – 3 yrs. or so. So mid/late 2013 is a safer time to target for availability of proven designs. But keep in mind that that is lightspeed compared to either standard nuclear or green alternatives. Those options won’t have traction for about 10 years, at huge expense.

In other words, FF will be a live option in plenty of time to cut those big expenditures and alternatives off at the knees.

What did I actually promise, Brian? Only that the testing phase begins in 2009. 😉

Brian H
    Participant

Aeronaut wrote:

Aero, I think you’re succumbing to the temptation to over-promise in terms of time. The science phase won’t likely be wrapped till mid ’10, and THEN comes the specifics of generator design and prototyping – 3 yrs. or so. So mid/late 2013 is a safer time to target for availability of proven designs. But keep in mind that that is lightspeed compared to either standard nuclear or green alternatives. Those options won’t have traction for about 10 years, at huge expense.

What did I actually promise, Brian? Only that the testing phase begins in 2009. 😉

Something about break-even in late ’09 … don’t know if that’s accurate, or meaningful. IAC, my point is that even talking about ’13 is WAY earlier than any other energy initiative.

Aeronaut
    Participant

‘K. How’s this?

Brian H
    Participant

Aeronaut wrote: ‘K. How’s this?

Before November elections? Sure, but really I’d clear any such technical assertions with Eric before making them!

Aeronaut
    Participant

November of 2010 is very realistic, imho, unless Eric posts otherwise. My homepage copy and header are a lot stronger now. Next edit will include how fusion will also be the topic of the 2012 Presidential and Congressional races. The sword of Damocles to keep the pols interested, lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.