Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Augustine
    Participant

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/24499/

Author proposes a novel way to use the Casimir effect from quantum mechanics to propel a vessel in a vacuum.

“Today, Alex Feigel at the Soreq Nuclear Research Center, a government lab in Yavne Israel, suggests an entirely new way to modify the momentum of the quantum vacuum and how this can be exploited to generate propulsion.”

From what I can gather this does not lead to a perpetual motion machine, it takes energy to modify the momentum of the quantum vacuum (and to obtain “thrust”). Best of all you can test the effects.

Aeronaut
    Participant

Augustine wrote: http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/24499/

Author proposes a novel way to use the Casimir effect from quantum mechanics to propel a vessel in a vacuum.

“Today, Alex Feigel at the Soreq Nuclear Research Center, a government lab in Yavne Israel, suggests an entirely new way to modify the momentum of the quantum vacuum and how this can be exploited to generate propulsion.”

From what I can gather this does not lead to a perpetual motion machine, it takes energy to modify the momentum of the quantum vacuum (and to obtain “thrust”). Best of all you can test the effects.

Great article, Augustine. The last paragraph seems to say that this engine would convert energy into thrust without throwing mass out its as*. I didn’t see anything prohibiting it from working in a gravity field or atmosphere other than the amount of energy available and the engine’s efficiency, but I’m not a physicist, either. This could be a lot cheaper to build than a space elevator. :coolsmile:

Augustine
    Participant

I think that this will only work in hard vacuum. I recall that you won’t see quantum vacuum effects at room pressure because there is quite a bit of matter present. If this works then I am curious as to what it means for the momentum of the em waves to be changed. What does that *mean* exactly?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.