Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    psupine
    Participant

Hi all, I’m new.

I recall reading in one of Eric’s papers (which one I don’t recall) that the overall power output was based on a pulse rate of 1kHz. I am wondering where this rate came from. My understanding is that discharge to collapse is all over in less than 100ns, so 1kHz seems awfully slow. Is the limit just a heat load on materials or is there something else going on? Faster shots with smaller energy could provide the same power output as slower shots that are bigger.

The real question, hiding behind the one above, is whether the capacitors are needed for “continuous” operation. Could a pair of electrode sets be arranged to charge each other so that they keep triggering back and forth as a resonant system (maybe it could work with just one electrode set too?). I haven’t seen any discussion of how the continuous (pulsed) operation would work. Can anyone elaborate on the re-fire cycle?

(If these are silly questions, I reserve my right as a newbie to ask them)

Lerner
    Participant

Yes, the limit is how much heat can be taken out of the anode, especially. You can have more than one pair of electrodes feeding off a single set of capacitors, but the geometery becomes tricky. If there is too much distance between the capacitors and the electrode, you end up feeding energy into a magentic field outside the electrodes, and that will cut your current.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.