The Focus Fusion Society Forums Focus Fusion Cafe pulsar, nutron star matter, possibility.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    aquahead
    Participant

This might be a long shot, but I thought I might throw it out there. A nuetron star is about 20km in diamiter and mass of 1.4 times our sun. Supposedly 5ml would weigh near one billion tons.
    Just to throw a spark. could this be done artificially, if so there is possibility of containment and integraion in fusion technology.

Duke Leto
    Participant

Not if you like living on a spherical planet… it isn’t feasible or wise.

Breakable
    Keymaster

Neutron star does not shine, because it is made of neutrons.
    It might give off some radiation (i don’t know), but nothing living beings made of organics would like to receive,
    well maybe except some radiation friendly fungus.
    Also its gravity is extremely string at small distances (like a normal big star).

Duke Leto
    Participant

There is no practical way to compress any amount of matter to neutron star densities, nor is there any sane reason to wish to do so.

It might have a utility as a generator of strong magnetic fields, BUT if you did have 5 ml of the stuff, the force of Earth’s gravitational attraction to it would cause it to sink through anything you might care to use to hold it up. It would then rapidly move to the core, accreting the planet into itself as it progressed. You might get away with just creating a new supervolcano with the neutron bit becoming the new center of the earth. you might end up with the entire earth sucked into a small package of neutronesque material. Most likely the internal stresses inside the thing would just make it eplode in the absence of the rest of a neutron star to keep it cohesive.

No matter what happens, it’d be a losing proposition.

aquahead
    Participant

I was pretty optimistic about posting this but did out of curiosity, next time I will keep it more plausible. I figure another possible problem with doing this would be a supernova.

Breakable
    Keymaster

You should really learn something about cosmology.
    Neutron stars do not become supernova (they just sit there) – they are result of supernova formation.

Are you trolling or what?

Duke Leto
    Participant

Leave the guy alone. He has interest with no knowledge, which is more than can be said for most people.

Brian H
    Participant

Duke Leto wrote: Leave the guy alone. He has interest with no knowledge, which is more than can be said for most people.

Hm; how does that rank with someone with knowledge but no interest? 😉

Speaking of which, or not, here’s an interesting approach to getting new knowledge from dense objects:
    http://spacefellowship.com/2009/08/04/goddard-led-gems-mission-to-explore-the-polarized-universe/#more-11424
    Polarized X-rays, ta-da!

:cheese: :coolsmile:

aquahead
    Participant

Thanks For the link/reference I am going to check it out. (I am a curios person who likes to ask quastions, and am in seek of knowledge )

pluto
    Participant

Hello

It seems that some people feel that they know a bit of Neutron Matter.

For now just picking on one point.

What formed the Supernova?

To create such a form, it would take quite a powerful solar dynamo in the form of Neutron matter or may be a hybrid with quark matter or a pasta form.

Regardless the magnetic fields required to form a Nova or a supernova with a remnant left behind such as a Neutron star or some other exotic ultra dense matter would require an initial ultra dense matter.

I just dropped in for 2 secs. I can go deeper into this field.

Brian H
    Participant

pluto wrote: Hello

It seems that some people feel that they know a bit of Neutron Matter.

For now just picking on one point.

What formed the Supernova?

To create such a form, it would take quite a powerful solar dynamo in the form of Neutron matter or may be a hybrid with quark matter or a pasta form.

Regardless the magnetic fields required to form a Nova or a supernova with a remnant left behind such as a Neutron star or some other exotic ultra dense matter would require an initial ultra dense matter.

I just dropped in for 2 secs. I can go deeper into this field.

Deeper stupidity? To make a supernova, start with one supergiant star:

supernova
    Plural supernovae or supernovas
    A massive star that undergoes a sudden, extreme increase in brightness across the electromagnetic spectrum, followed by a more gradual decrease lasting from several days to several months. Supernovae occur when a supergiant star collapses suddenly at the end of its life, condensing its core material into an extremely compact mass that then undergoes a slight rebound. The resulting shock wave sends all matter surrounding the core flying into space, leaving a neutron star or black hole at the site of the core’s collapse. Supernovae may also occur when a white dwarf accretes material from a companion red giant star, resulting in an increase in mass that eventually triggers carbon fusion in the core of the white dwarf; the sudden increase in available fuel causes energy to be released in a violent explosion. In both cases the shock waves induce further fusion in the matter surrounding the collapsed core; the many elements resulting from this fusion and from the various other stages of nucleosynthesis over the lifetime of the star are scattered into space. These elements serve as the material from which new stellar and planetary systems are formed; in fact, every heavy element found on Earth is thought to have been the product of supernovae explosions. The last supernova to be observed in the Milky Way was seen in 1604 by Johannes Kepler and was used by Galileo, at his trial, as evidence against the presupposition that the universe never changes.

pluto
    Participant

Hello

Your idea of what happens during a supernova is quite general. Secondary school explanation.

Since you think it is stupidity then I may say, stay with what you think.

For those who wish to understand what actually happens during a supernova (e) if you want the many.

Than you may need to research beyond secondary books. Read up on quantum matter and phase transitions, may even pay to read up on Lagrangians and solitons and electromagnetic reconnections of magnetic fields.

As for the end of a star’s life. read up the sequence of star formation. Then ask the question of how a star can become hundreds of times that of our Sun.

We are entering a new era in knowing and understanding the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies.

Brian H
    Participant

pluto wrote: Hello

Your idea of what happens during a supernova is quite general. Secondary school explanation.

Since you think it is stupidity then I may say, stay with what you think.

For those who wish to understand what actually happens during a supernova (e) if you want the many.

Than you may need to research beyond secondary books. Read up on quantum matter and phase transitions, may even pay to read up on Lagrangians and solitons and electromagnetic reconnections of magnetic fields.

As for the end of a star’s life. read up the sequence of star formation. Then ask the question of how a star can become hundreds of times that of our Sun.

We are entering a new era in knowing and understanding the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies.

Well, it starts with hundreds of times the mass, and retains it until it loses it. There are stars in size ranges from about 10 Jupiters (brown dwarfs) to blue supergiants. The latter live fast and die young.
    Next question?

pluto
    Participant

Hello Brian

I think you have read my words out of context.

So far what you are saying is very little.

Go back to my post and try to explain the parts.

Then I will know to what extent and depth I will explain and discuss.

Please do not think that I’m being smart. But! I do not want to waste my time with a person who has a closed mind.

Breakable
    Keymaster

Please define what you mean by Open-Mindedness
    My belief is well reflected by:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.