The Focus Fusion Society Forums Focus Fusion Cafe Popular Mechanics June 2011

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Dan619
    Participant

For Popular Mechanics June 2011 edition there is an article about Fusion Energy. The article mentions National Ignition Facility, Helion Energy, and a bit about ITER. They are still talking about fusion being decades away! And those machines still use heat from fusion to create steam to run the turbines to create electricity! Maybe some one with better writing skills than I have can let them know about Focus Fusion! It would be great if they would write an article about what is being done here! Maybe find some investors with some cash to spare =)

Ivy Matt
    Participant

Have you seen the article? I don’t suppose it’s on newsstands yet, but maybe the subscribers have received their copies.

I’m glad Helion is getting some press, because they’re one of the remaining private fusion companies that hasn’t been funded. Maybe they’ll get some investments from this.

No mention of LPP’s work at all? They got some publicity when The Economist published an article on them back in 2009, around the time of first plasma on the FF-1, but they seem to have been ignored in the press lately, I’m not sure why. I think FF-1 is the most promising fusion experiment that’s in operation right now.

Tulse
    Participant

Ivy Matt wrote: I think FF-1 is the most promising fusion experiment that’s in operation right now.

I completely agree (perhaps not too surprising from folks who post here). And what I find most frustrating about FF funding is that it is the approach that requires the least funds to do conclusive research on its viability. As I understand it, it would take relatively little money (compared to the other major players) to fully fund the research that would tell us if there are any major showstoppers, or alternatively to get to indisputable breakeven.

More generally, I’m surprised that Popular Mechanics is not covering aneutronic approaches period, as this is clearly the most interesting, and potentially most game-changing, approach to fusion. It’s also the approach that is most advanced of the various “indie” companies — EMC2 has a big ongoing research project with a functioning device and funding from the government, Tri Alpha has a big investor, and FF is shaking out their device. By comparison, as far as I know General Fusion and Helion have yet to bend metal to any significant degree, and even if fully successful their final product will just be a radioactive heat source.

Dan619
    Participant

Maybe Focus Fusion needs some volunteer PR people! Something could be put on here, form letter style, to be sent to congress people, senators, news outlets/general media. Hopefully there are enough followers here to get someones attention! Any idea’s on how to get this out?

DerekShannon
    Participant

Good idea, Dan! For starters, it is heartening when I see a focus fusion booster chime in on the comments of a fusion article that yet again forgot to mention the dense plasma focus experiments underway at LPP–I would definitely encourage focus fusion supporters to help make sure we’re at least mentioned amidst the other fusion news, either in the comments and/or contact the author of the FoFu-omitting article directly–And we’ll keep busy in the lab and try to have some good press release-worthy news soon!….

zapkitty
    Participant

DerekShannon wrote: I would definitely encourage focus fusion supporters to help make sure we’re at least mentioned amidst the other fusion news, either in the comments and/or contact the author of the FoFu-omitting article directly–And we’ll keep busy in the lab and try to have some good press release-worthy news soon!….

Would it help if I staggered onto the offending comments thread like a zombie seeking brains and went “… sswitchezzz…” ?

🙂

Rezwan
    Participant

Thanks for drawing this to our attention. We’ll be adding this journalist to the press list for future contact.

Dan619 wrote: Hopefully there are enough followers here to get someones attention!

Yes! We need more followers, more active people posting and telling their friends. We can’t afford a PR person, so we’re only as strong as our network of members and volunteers.

JShell
    Participant

I like the idea of having a form letter that volunteers can send to journalists, editors, publicists, professors, their friends, anyone– I feel like the more we can get our name out there, the better–

I think its interesting that FFS has a much more public/cooperative approach than almost any other fusion organization . . .

Rezwan
    Participant

JShell wrote: I like the idea of having a form letter that volunteers can send to journalists, editors, publicists, professors, their friends, anyone– I feel like the more we can get our name out there, the better–

The board process we’re going through now, of clarifying the mission, and the strategic planning for clarifying the programs – will result in materials and a clear message that we then make available for members and volunteers to spread far and wide.

The key is to clarify our information/purpose/materials at the core and put out regular messages that make it clear what actions would be useful.

Core + members.

Also, LPP has its own press releases that it has issued from time to time. On those occasions when members repost – we get a lot more interest/traffic/etc.

I think its interesting that FFS has a much more public/cooperative approach than almost any other fusion organization . . .

Do you mean LPP?

Ivy Matt
    Participant

Ivy Matt wrote: I don’t suppose it’s on newsstands yet, but maybe the subscribers have received their copies.

Never mind, I saw it in a store tonight. It mainly covers NIF and Helion, comparing Helion to David and NIF to Goliath. There were also mentions of Tri Alpha and General Fusion as other Davids. ITER was mentioned briefly as well. Nice publicity for Helion and the other two ventures. Helion needs a couple tens of million dollars, and hasn’t got it yet. No mention of LPP, although I did see the phrase “focusing on fusion”, or something like that. No mention of EMC2, even, although there’s a quote from Robert Hirsch complimenting the fusion startups, which some who were fusion researchers during the ’70s may find bitterly ironic. Also some fusion naysayers get their oars in as well.

Ivy Matt
    Participant

The article is now online:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/next-generation/is-fusion-power-finally-for-real

In fact, it’s been online since June 21. I notice someone mentioned Focus Fusion in the comments below.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.