Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    meemoe_uk
    Participant

what is the maximum electric field strength FoFu1 is getting with its collapsing plasmoids?

Francisl
    Participant

How would you make that measurement?

meemoe_uk
    Participant

>How would you make that measurement?

That might be why I’ve never got an answer. U insinuate it’s a difficult and superfluous quantity to measure, and that Lawrenceville haven’t got good measurements for this.

I’d start by measuring the ion energies with particle hit detector, which will give the integral of the electric field over time, then maybe they can measure time duration of plasmoid collapse. Aside any direct measurement, I thought Lawrenceville have a pretty good theoretical plasmoid model now, so they can use that to fill out missing quantities. I’m only interested in a rough estimate ; to an order of magnitude would be great.

meemoe_uk
    Participant

…but from my understanding of electromagnetics, if the magnetic field is in giga gauss, and the collapse time of a plasmoid is on the order of nanoseconds, then I’d expect the electric field to be a million times stronger than the magnetic field? Mag field / Time = Electric field. Don’t know if there’s a constant of proportion that cuts the electric field down a long way. Will have to check. Just thought someone here would know better than me.

edit :: I just checked faradays induction law again. I don’t see any proportion constant , just electric field strength = – change in magnetic field over time. So I think I’m right with my idea – the collapsing plasmoid electric field being should be of the order of peta – volts. Would be nice if someone here could confirm my idea.

Francisl
    Participant

Can you get the information that you want from these files?

Lerner
    Participant

We know that the beams are accelerated to about 2 Mev–we can measure their velocities. We can’t directly measure the distance it takes to accelerate them and thus the field. The maximum distance is the length of the plasmoid, 1.5 mm, so that would be about 1GV/m. Our theory indicates that the real distance is only about 5 microns so that would be a field of 400GV/m. The calculation from Maxwell’s laws is a bit more complicated than the questioner thinks and i will go over it on this thread when I get a minute.

meemoe_uk
    Participant

400GV/m is 1 order of mag lower than I was least expecting, i.e. 1~10 TV/m. I was not far wrong. Wonder where the flaw is in my fast magnetic field collapse and faraday’s law idea.

>Can you get the information that you want from these files?
    I had a look, but i couldn’t see. Maybe its there, but I don’t understand most of the columns.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.