Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Francisl
    Participant

I’m interested in the March 3, 2017 report. “In January, the LPPFusion research team completed the reassembly of FF-1, using a fresh 10-cm long tungsten anode and the existing 14-cm long cathode.” Does changing the relative length of the two electrodes change the location of the plasmoid? The newly improved ICCD camera should provide some answers. If the plasmoid can be formed above the anode instead of inside or very close to the anode then there should be less radiation damage to the anode. It doesn’t matter to a low repetition rate experimental machine but could make a difference in a commercial power unit.
    Would changing the shape of the tip of the anode to a hollow cone or another geometry cause the plasmoid to form farther away from the anode?

Engineer
    Participant

I think what you are really asking is can the region of fusion be controlled relative to the Anode? Obviously, the plasmoid doesn’t form until the filament passes thru the toroidal magnet, which imparts the rotation force to the plasma. What is most important to me is when the collapsing magnetic field will allow for X-ray suppression from injection of electrons. If collapse occurs too close to the magnet and anode, the rotational force from the magnet may not be enough to form a stable plasmoid. The collapse time is a function of ionization and temperature of the plasma. I don’t have an equation for you but Dr Lerner may have.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.