The Focus Fusion Society Forums Dense Plasma Focus (DPF) Science and Applications Physical Dimensions and Layout(s) of the Components

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Aeronaut
    Participant

I’m assuming the 12 caps are electrolytics with threaded terminals. Due to the need for minimal inductance of the busswork (short, wide leads) to minimize magnetic field losses, my guess is that the cap bank is actually 2 banks of 6 each, facing each other and possibly sharing the same buss plate(s), with the vacuum vessel in the center so both beams have a straight exit path, perhaps a foot or more in diameter.

Assuming this is accurate, what are likely dimensions for the caps, vacuum chamber, the switching electronics, and converters for the beam and the x-ray bursts? Also, where does the shielding wall fit into this compact of a layout, if at all?

Last but not least, of course, are which parts need to be shielded from what (magnetic, nuetrons, x-rays, etc.), and the expected Earth weight. Pix of any resolution would help a lot.

Thanx.

Matt

Aeronaut
    Participant

I just looked up Gyrotron and Peniotron, the recommended “High Tech Transformer” /decelerator in the patent. I don’t understand how a peniotron can be useful. The power is much lower than a gyrotron and it requires high speed switching and sensing equipment that would add to the complexity and expense.

CPI’s gyrotron page, and Wiki’s maser pages, suggest that its uses are for plasma heating and particle acceleration. Huh? At least I have some phone numbers. Apparently anybody who would be looking for this type of part already understands it is how the wiki and sales pages approach the reader.

If I understand it correctly, our brief pulses of “electricity” (no circuit return path) needs to be terminated and converted into several mm wavelength pulses of (hopefully) 5 MW total power. Then something like a pad transformer steps it down to useful levels and number of phases. Is this correct? Thanx.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.