The Focus Fusion Society Forums Financing Fusion Packaging the DPF as a Weapon?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    amcnea
    Participant

It’s sad to say, but it seems that in our world people (governments) care less about helping people and more about killing people. For instance look at our nuclear fission programs. We have programs based on Uranium-235 and Plutonium-239, because the government put lots of money into making bombs out of these substances, and then later decided to make civilian programs to help public relations. But there are no reactors out of Uranium-233 (Thorium) because it’s much harder to make a bomb out of the substance. (Even though many would argue Thorium is a better fuel for a civilian reactor.)

So, with this in mind, can the DPF be weaponized? I don’t know how damaging an alpha particle beam is, but it seems to have decent energy densities and it looks like a phaser off of Star Trek or something (looks are important). Could this be made into something that could be mounted on a satellite to shoot down another satellite or something along those lines?

In doing a little research on this subject I came across the Shiva Star Project (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva_Star). It states the Shiva Star was used as a DPF during the mid-80’s. I don’t really know how relevant this project is, but it looks interesting. Anyways the Military tried to used for some SDI defense thing. Shooting down missiles or something.

Anyways, re-packaging the DPF as a weapon might peak the interest of the Military to fund the project, and we (mankind) might get a civilian DPF out of it. Again it’s sad to say, but the Military would probably convert a civilian DPF into a weapon if it were possible. So, you might as well have the military pay the bills, if it will happen either way.

—————————-
    P.S. In my personal opinion, I don’t want to see the Military or the Government funding the DPF. In the long run I think this will just add to regulations which will decrease the likely hood of a final product going to market in an effective manner. I just had the idea and thought I would mention it. And I can’t be the only person who immediately thought PHASER after seeing the DPF animation. Hopefully, I will have a better idea soon.

Phil’s Dad
    Participant

amcnea wrote: I just had the idea and thought I would mention it.

Gosh! what an interesting way to introduce yourself to the forum. :ahhh:

One of the things that makes this project so interesting for me (as a politician) is its lack of weapons potential.

In defense of my species I have to say we do genuinely want to solve the energy issue. It doesn’t always have to be a gun. 🙄

Welcome. 🙂

tcg
    Participant

Yikes!

I hope Amcnea is kidding. There could be nothing worse than to encourage the Pentagon to wrap plasma fusion in a security blanket because they would smother it. They would overrun the project like a mob of plague infested fleas, and soon you would need a security clearance to sneeze hard. There are other, less self-destructive ways to finance a project like this.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.