The Focus Fusion Society Forums Focus Fusion Cafe p + p -> d question

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    meems
    Participant

so an old question in the fusion community that has debated and answered many times, but still doesn’t seem to be resolved ; is the p + p -> d reaction

perhaps I’m behind the times. Has this reaction definitely been reproduced?

and also, does plasmoid fusion have anything to contribute to the p + p -> d question?

perhaps its easy to evidence and reproduce using a DPF.

thanks

( yes I’ve left out the postrions and neutrinos in the reaction equations )

meems
    Participant

btw, from my understanding of nuclear physics, fusion and protons, it is my guess that there is no direct evidence for p + p -> d, even in plasmoid fusion.

He2 has negative binding energy, i.e. even when the protons have got past the coluomb barrier, and their interaction dominated by the strong force, they still repulse. A miracle has to happen at the exact time the protons coincide, the miracle of positron emission, then, if the protons collision energy was within a narrow band, then they can stay together as deuterium.

Its just a little bit too magic. Hence formal education says a proton in the sun has to wait an average of 5 billions year to become a deuterium. Hence they’ll never replicate it its so rare.

If theory is correct then engineering p+p->d will involve getting temperature of the fusion environment optimal so that the mean energy of protons is in the narrow band.

The forum is so quiet atm, I might try emailing lawrencville staff to get a response if no response here.

Francisl
    Participant

Are you curious about this reaction or do you see a benefit to creating it?

meems
    Participant

Hi Francisl,
    I am curious. I am not thinking of benefits atm. I will perhaps consider benefits once I know more about how it can happen, plus see some write ups on evidence.

from you prior posts I consider u to be a heavyweight pro-fusioneer. I only chat about it occasionally as a hobby. If you yourself aren’t aware of p + p -> d evidence or some theory that makes it more common than standard theory, then that itself is evidence against a replicable p + p -> d experiment!

meems
    Participant

So I’ve conducted this experiment

the ‘ask an expert’ experiment

– ask a fusion expert if they know about a p + p -> d
    – get a response
    – point out to them if they can’t answer in the positive about p + p -> d then that’s evidence against there being evidence for p + p -> d

and the result was :

– got no answer on p + p -> d

so the conclusion is :

– this evidence suggests there is no lab evidence for p + p -> d

sorry to all those in my situation looking for evidence on p + p -> d if that’s too indirect for you.
    Its like trying to detect neutrinos. Doing it directly is impossible, you have to be content with indirect methods.

Breakable
    Keymaster

If you are asking if proton-boron it was done in practice here is a reference link from wikipedia:
    https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms3506

Eric also did some work using proton boron using someone else’s DPF, but I cant quickly find a link for you on that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.