Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #8304
    Avatarzapkitty
    Member

    A logo should be simpler. Indeed, it should be able to be rendered in monochrome or engraved on a stone tablet and still be recognizable.

    The modified peace sign is neither here nor there, which is a not good thing, but the nuclei representations are just too much fiddlework to try and emboss and still be recognizable.

    As for symbolism… as this is for the Focus Fusion Society I’d think a stylized DPF electrode array would also lend itself to the concept of the many people focused on fusion.

    And while green and no weapons potential are both valid points of aneutronic fusion… the color as a logo took a severe hit with “green coal” and suffered a fatal blow with British Petroleum’s cute green flower logo.

    #8305
    Avatarzapkitty
    Member

    Hmmm… no more traceless edits… that’s not going to do my reputation for infallibility any good 😉

    #8345
    Avatarzapkitty
    Member

    zapkitty wrote: A logo should be simpler. Indeed, it should be able to be rendered in monochrome or engraved on a stone tablet and still be recognizable.

    As for symbolism… as this is for the Focus Fusion Society I’d think a stylized DPF electrode array would also lend itself to the concept of the many people focused on fusion.

    A basic concept… can be upgraded by the artistically-inclined as needed… or by the visually adept for that matter…

    The image can be scaled and enlarged to suite the subject at hand… substitute photorealistic plasma et al when the focus is tech… or since the sheath also resembles a cartoon word balloon when many people are saying the same thing at once you can,have the ‘trodes be a bunch of stylized heads all talking about fusion… a simpler symbol can be more easily adapted at need and still remain recognizable.

    color
    grayscale
    b&w

    Confiscate and mutate at will… or mutilate at will… and I thought a blind guy working on the graphics engine of a computer game was an odd pastime…

    Attached files

    #8346
    Avatarjamesr
    Member

    I like it zapkitty – simple effective logo, with strong typography.

    The only thing I would tweak is the kerning slightly, so the C is the same width as the S (or vice versa), then the down stroke of the U would line up with the I below it.

    #8347
    Avatarzapkitty
    Member

    jamesr wrote: I like it zapkitty – simple effective logo, with strong typography.

    The only thing I would tweak is the kerning slightly, so the C is the same width as the S (or vice versa), then the down stroke of the U would line up with the I below it.

    The font is microgramma, specifically MS
    MicrogrammaDBolExt, a leftover from my work on Homeworld SDL. Should be on current MS systems and office applications etc.

    #8350
    AvatarAeronaut
    Member

    Looks great!

    #8351
    AvatarIvy Matt
    Participant

    Well, I have to say I like it. On first sight I was impressed. On second sight I wondered why the electrodes were green. Not that it matters. After maximizing the image, I still like it, but I think I’d prefer it if the edge of the sheath between electrodes were a bit more parabolic. But that’s purely personal aesthetic taste. I don’t know much about how the sheath is supposed to look in real life.

    There are ten outer electrodes, whereas the current experiment has sixteen. Is that because of aesthetic considerations? I suppose the design might be a bit busy with sixteen. With eight it would perhaps be a little too concentric.

    I’m trying to think if there’s another logo in use that it could be easily mistaken for. (Well, I guess that’s why you have “Focus Fusion” next to the stylized DPF.)

    #8352
    Avatarzapkitty
    Member

    Ivy Matt wrote: Well, I have to say I like it. On first sight I was impressed. On second sight I wondered why the electrodes were green.

    Beats green coal 🙂

    Ivy Matt wrote: After maximizing the image, I still like it, but I think I’d prefer it if the edge of the sheath between electrodes were a bit more parabolic.

    Yes indeed… and I’d like the central star to have more slender arms as well… but snap-to-grid at 32x mag on a quickie only gets one so far and it still took me four days to finish it this much… but the purpose was to get the ball rolling so that’s fine…

    I expect it to be redone by other people… several times… it’d be somewhat disappointing if no one did anything with it 🙂

    Ivy Matt wrote: But that’s purely personal aesthetic taste. I don’t know much about how the sheath is supposed to look in real life.

    Me neither 🙂

    Ivy Matt wrote: I’m trying to think if there’s another logo in use that it could be easily mistaken for. (Well, I guess that’s why you have “Focus Fusion” next to the stylized DPF.)

    It also helps remind me what I’m supposed to be doing at the moment as well….

    Attached is a 3ds file of the model. Those with the inclination to mess with it are heartily encouraged 🙂

    Attached files

    focusfusion-3ds.zip (59 B) 

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.