The Focus Fusion Society Forums Focus Fusion Cafe New fusion idea based on ultra-dense deuterium

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    rafal
    Participant

Ha!

It looks like tightening anode-cathode distance to increase energy concentration is not as “innovative” as I thought it was, others came at those conclusions too, like: http://www.google.com/patents/US8487536. I’s pity I haven’t traced any science papers on the influence of cathode-anode final distance on the overall device performance like neutron yields. But may be s I’ll have more luck later.

But along those lines; both inventors listed in that patent are located/residents of las Vegas. I’m not familiar with US science facilities, so: are there any recognized research facilities around las vegas? Or should one think that DPF is becoming so hot issue, that patent trolls already smell fresh meat?

Ivy Matt
    Participant

See the article below for more on the Las Vegas DPF:

https://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/article/new_large_dpf_in_las_vegas_unveiled

rafal
    Participant

I see.

So it’s not that PF does not get DoE funding. It’s just that the funding goes with a disclosure-constraints and we all get an impression, that only enthusiasts do any progress here, which apparently is not true at all.

Anyway. As always (with science :); one answer rises more questions…. surprisingly, I see references to DPF devices used as neutron source (D-D reaction) instead of H-B fussion devices. How come the later is less interesting to the researchers?? bits me.

But still, thenx for the reference and link.

Ivy Matt
    Participant

The plasma focus is a relatively inexpensive device that is known to produce fusion reactions. As such, it has been used to study plasma physics in various countries that don’t have the budgets for more expensive fusion devices. It has also been studied for applications in X-ray lithography, neutron therapy, medical istope production, and production of neutrons for nuclear weapons. Thirty or so years ago, when fusion budgets were being reduced and the tokamak was edging out the competition, it was widely believed (and still is today among most mainstream fusion researchers) that the plasma focus produces fusion primarily by a beam-target mechanism in which the ion beam collides with cold gas in the chamber, producing fusion reactions. And indeed, there is evidence that in some devices that is the case. If that is always so, prospects are not good for the plasma focus as a net power fusion device. Eric Lerner is convinced, based on his own study of the plasma focus device, that in the right configuration it can produce fusion primarily by a thermonuclear mechanism within the plasmoid. Based on experiments he conducted at Texas A&M in 2001, he published a paper demonstrating the production of neutrons and hard X-rays within the plasmoid itself (see note 25 and figure 1 in particular). However, my impression is that these results have not yet been widely accepted within the plasma physics community.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.