Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rezwan
    Participant

The LPP experiment will rely on instruments to indicate whether or not fusion is taking place. Here’s a space to discuss instruments. This NToFD, what’s its history? Where have they been used before? To what effect? Any controversy? Tips for use? Send your links.

Breakable
    Keymaster

The first question would be:what kind of instruments you already have and which ones are planned in the future.

Rezwan
    Participant

Here’s a quick list. As mentioned elsewhere, I’m trying to set up a unique weblog for the “instruments” category with unique field id’s re: name, description, purpose, whats measured, cost, issues, images, links, etc.

The instruments are:

ICCD Camera
    Pinhole Camera
    X-ray lens
    3 Scintillators – PMT Xray detectors, each behind different thickness of copper filter
    Xray spectrometer
    Neutron time of flight detectors – near & far
    1 large Faraday cup with graphite collector surface
    2 smaller Faraday cups
    2 Rogowski coils, and 12 smaller ones, signalled by oscilloscopes
    High Voltage probes
    radiation badge in a lead box (? why is that on my list of instruments?)

but I started this topic to just look at the ToFD’s.

Tulse
    Participant

It would also be helpful to non-physics newbies to have a very brief explanation of what the instruments are and why they will be used (i.e., what they measure).

Rezwan
    Participant

Tulse wrote: It would also be helpful to non-physics newbies to have a very brief explanation of what the instruments are and why they will be used (i.e., what they measure).

Yes, I’m working on that section. Actually, take a look at the unfolding layout for the LPP experiment. https://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/category/C30/

What do you think? Should we add anything, take anything away, clarify anything?

Now I have to go in and create categories based on headings (theory, design, methodology, instruments, etc.) And then assign previously written articles the proper category, then create link to page so that you can click on theory and get related articles.

And then…backlog of writing the rest of the articles to flesh out the experiment. Plus, the “instruments” and “design” section can be further broken down/categorized.

Construction continues…

mchargue
    Participant

I like the layout, and the information that’s being presented.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.