The Focus Fusion Society Forums Official Announcements Name the Baby Contest

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

LPP will be constructing a dense plasma focus device that will be among the most powerful in the world and which will be used beginning in 2009 to test the feasibility of Focus Fusion to produce cheap, clean and inexhaustible energy.

This device needs a name! So, LPP has invited FFS members and supporters to suggest some. Submit your ideas (mythological, scientific, historical or whatever) by May 1, 2009 to LPP.

If your name is selected, you will receive a certificate from LPP and a special Focus Fusion gift.

Also, follow the link above to see current submissions.

Breakable
    Keymaster

I suggested “Apollo”,
    seems it did not pass the spam filter :(.
    But now it did!

Apollo has been variously recognized as a god of light and the sun; truth and prophecy; archery; medicine and healing; music, poetry, and the arts; and more.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo

Alex Pollard
    Participant

It’s Eric’s baby, so it should share his surname.

And it will be a bright spark, so I’d call it Fast Learner 🙂

Hi Folks,

I just set up an online form for official name submissions. Please enter your submissions there.

We’ll use this forum thread here to debate the merits of various submissions. Got it? Submissions using form, discussions using forUm.

Let me know if you have any trouble with the form.

belbear
    Participant

Breakable wrote: I suggested “Apollo”,
    Apollo has been variously recognized as a god of light and the sun; truth and prophecy; archery; medicine and healing; music, poetry, and the arts; and more.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo

Apollo is already taken. For me and many others not so familiar with Greek gods, Apollo is practically a synonym for walking on the moon. A good name should not have such associations with something well known but totally unrelated.
    Okay, for young people, the Giant Leap For Mankind may be just as much dead history as Greek mythology, but I am still one of those who had his eyes glued to a black&white;TV screen in those days…

Well, our baby may indeed have an association with the Apollo program: The Next Giant Leap For Mankind. Too bad the acronym sucks… 🙁

Breakable
    Keymaster

Ok, i see “Baby Apollo” is in the list, and contributed by me,
    so this solves those 2 problems.
    And in case it works, any previous associations are likely to overwritten.
    PS:Much better than TNGLFM 😉

Rezwan
    Participant

Breakable wrote:
    PS:Much better than TNGLFM 😉

TNGLFM – “tingle fum” sounds like some kind of Christmas monster.

My favorites at this moment in time are “Stella” “Plasimodo” and “Firefly”.

“Stella” because I can picture the abusive power companies in their undershirts yelling “STELLLLLLAAAAAA” once they realize they’ve lost the relationship with their customers.

“Plasimodo” because I like the freakiness it implies. Misunderstood Plasma dude with a heart of gold.

“Firefly” because of the TV series. What a ship. Well, maybe the baby should have a different name, but once we develop a fusion powered spaceship, call THAT Firefly.

Brian H
    Participant

“willit” has some good ones.

My own most recent: FAT – “Fusion Ain’t Tough”.
    An alternate for FAST (already taken): “Fusion Ain’t So Tough!”

😉

DerekShannon
    Participant

Shout-out to Rezwan for inspiring my Persian-related suggestion: Mithra, “protector of truth and justice and the source of cosmic light,” whose name comes from proto-Indo-Iranian meaning “that which causes binding.”

belbear
    Participant

Besides giving the baby a name, we should also give it a face, or better: a symbol that can stand for focus fusion in general.

The peace-emblem I see on this web site may look good on a T-shirt, but if you want to paint it on the side of a fusion reactor, or put it on some company stationery it’s a bit 60’s Woodstock hippie-esque, isn’t it?

So I designed a focus-fusion symbol that is both abstract, hopely not trademarked yet, and a direct reminder of where it all started: With the first DPF experiments.
    This logo is essentially a circle surrounded by eight smaller circles.
    Regardless of how the actual electrodes of a FF generator will look like, it resembles the classic rod-cathode electrode set of many DPF’s.

The logo I designed can have a solid center or a hollow center, to accomodate a central company logo for instance.
    I took the liberty of borrowing your LPP logo for the purpose of demonstration…

Attached files

DerekShannon
    Participant

I’m not going to seriously suggest these, but I feel like dorking out this morning while fixing up the computer at work:

Krimpatul – means “bind them” in….ORKISH! From the Tolkien verse “One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them / ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul” Alternatively, “Ash Nazg Krimpatul” could be the ANK, “One Ring to Bind Them All.” And the DPF is sortuva ring to bind stuff, right? Hee. http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/257.html

Galu-Kaunshau-Folayek – means “fusion reactor” in….VULCAN! Or the GKF, or just “Galu-Kaunshaya” for the process of nuclear fusion. It sounds a bit like Russian, and what could be more synonymous with “nuclear safety?” It is tough to say (maybe just “Kaunshaya” or “Folayek,”) but less evil than Orkish, and Eric is very logical! http://www.starbase-10.de/vld/

Mygeeto – The source of the experimental power system for…the DEATH STAR! Definitely a connotation we want to promote. Means “gem” in “the ancient trade language of the Muuns.” http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mygeeto

Brian H
    Participant

The deadline is past history? What’s the winner? Who’s on first?

Brian H
    Participant

So, FFone won! (pronounced ‘Fwun’, IMO. 😉 ) Not sure about “Fo-Foo”; sounds a bit risqué … :ohh:

Brian H
    Participant

I take it that FF1 has not yet responded co-operatively to the instruction “Fire FoFu”? Maybe Eric should try “Fire Fwun!” :coolgrin:

Brian H
    Participant

I have a new suggestion, and request that the competition be re-opened!

Pinch-Me

How can you not love it? :cheese: :coolsmirk:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.