The Focus Fusion Society Forums Official Announcements Messages posted not appearing on the forum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Breakable
    Keymaster

Hi All,
    There has been at least one report of messages posted not appearing on the forum.
    Please let us know if you reproduce that behavior:
    https://focusfusion.org/index.php/site/toc/contact_us

zapkitty
    Participant

*ping*

ikanreed
    Participant

All the time. I frequently give up on posting when it happens several times in a row. Haven’t been able to tell the cause.

vansig
    Participant

same here. it’s sporadic. but i think when it’s happening, that even the contact_us link is broken

benf
    Participant

I haven’t been having problems posting myself (assuming this post appears), but sorry to those who have been experiencing them. We’ll be monitoring the issue, which is hopefully temporary and isolated.

zapkitty
    Participant

The only thing remotely like that I’ve noticed is when I’m composing a reply to a thread and someone else posts to the thread while I’m composing and I don’t notice the update before hitting ‘post reply”… *poof!* Post gone and no way to retrieve.

My current solution is to compose offline and paste’n’post a copy of my reply quickly. But of course that *poof!* is not good behavior for a forum application.

Breakable
    Keymaster

Thank you for sharing guys!
    I never experienced it myself (not that I know of at least), but it seems the issue is real.
    I thought initially it is ISP related, so please share what is your ISP if you see it happening.
    Otherwise I think it could be hosting issues and maybe related to server time – they could be doing backups or other maintenance on their servers at specific times.
    Switching the hosting could help, but it is not an easy decision to make and is not guaranteed to make a difference, so we will try to hold off for now.
    So please share: time and your ISP info when it happens. In case you cant or dont want to post it here, please send me an email: ignas @ focusfusion.org

vansig
    Participant

ok, this is happening again, to me, today, though i managed to get one posted by re-trying.

Breakable
    Keymaster

Vansig:
    I assume you are talking about this post:
    https://focusfusion.org/index.php/forums/viewreply/11206/
    Just want to narrow it down time wise. It shows like 17:22 PM Toronto time?
    Please share your ISP if its not confidential.

vansig
    Participant

Breakable wrote: Vansig:
    I assume you are talking about this post:
    https://focusfusion.org/index.php/forums/viewreply/11206/
    Just want to narrow it down time wise. It shows like 17:22 PM Toronto time?
    Please share your ISP if its not confidential.

yes, that’s the successful posting, made a few minutes after the failure,
    but no that isnt the accurate local time.

the workaround was, that I logged out of the web site and logged in again,
    posted again and succeeded.

but i am not certain that action had anything real to do with mitigating the problem,
    since it failed again for me a few minutes later, when following up here.

local time now is 12:42pm.

vansig
    Participant

it failed again, today, on my first try replying, above. i had pressed the QUOTE button to compose the message;
    fortunately i copied the whole text to the clip board before submitting the post so i was able to submit the posting
    after retrying with the POST REPLY button.

FAST REPLY also broke.

i’m sitting at toronto public library, parkdale branch, on their wifi. external world sees my ip address as 64.26.155.132

vansig
    Participant

when a failure occurs, the web site returns me to the Post Reply page, with empty text in the Message textarea.

it is certainly sporadic, because i was able to edit a reply once, but not twice, just now.

Brian H
    Participant

Not a solution to the site problem, but to recovering posts using Firefox. Install the Lazarus add-on, and specify as much time to save your entries as you wish. The default is 14 minutes, but I have it set for several years. (!!) Allows me to revisit posts I made long ago, if a subject recurs.

Operates with a button on the Addon bar and in the context menu. (“Recover text”)

Don’t leave home without it!

A complementary tool, btw, is ClipMate, a $35 stand-alone product that saves anything you copy, for as long as you want. Most useful utility evah.

Breakable
    Keymaster

zapkitty has upgraded the forums and I did spam account cleanup. Potentially the problem should be gone or much less of an issue.

vansig
    Participant

i’ll watch for this. it was definitely sporadic, sometimes occurring until i added a newline at the bottom, sometimes occurring on three of four attempts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.