The Focus Fusion Society Forums Building a Better Focus Fusion Society Membership Benefits, Privileges, Perks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Rezwan
    Participant

Folks, I’m trying to think of ways to make membership in the Focus Fusion Society more valuable.

Swag
    One thing most nonprofits do is send out “swag” – gifts, coupons, T-shirts, that sort of thing. All of this, of course, comes out of the budget of the organization, so a portion of your donation comes back to you in the form of the stuff.

Swag deduction
    I was discussing this with a nonprofit colleague – we were talking about how to set up a “fundraising gala” for the Focus Fusion Society. She said typically, you plan the event, and, say, you hire a caterer. The caterer tells you it will be $25 per person. Then you sell $100 tickets to the event. Everyone gets their ticket which is also their receipt for taxes. The receipt shows them that they can deduct $75 for charity, because the other $25 was a good/service.

Costs incurred
    Sending swag to members also incurrs mailing costs, and administration costs – you have to put together the stuff and print out labels and have the post office pick up, or go down to the PO. There is also the administration cost for time and expenses spent developing relationships with donors who donate swag:

Donated swag
    I’d love to send out swag to members, but ideally donated swag. This is where companies will give you stuff which you can send out. They write it off as a donation, and…well I’m not sure.

Nonprofits spend a lot of money developing this sort of thing. In our case, for example, we might approach Lego Corporation to support fusion by designing fusion reactor themed toys. They would give a portion of their profits (if any : )) to us. And they would also give us a bit of product, which we would send out to our members.

This also works for them because they get new customers – you start with a little lego fusion scientist piece, and next thing you know, you go out and get more pieces to complete the kit.

Don’t judge. This is how things are done.

Other membership perks would include discounts to other things – cross memberships. Let me put this in the next post.

Rezwan
    Participant

Other benefits for members include providing access to things that might not be easily obtained. This falls under the category of access and discounts.

Museums and Credit Unions
    For example, we could develop a relationship with various museums and offer our members discounts to those museums. For this, you’d get a membership card, and when you show up at those museums, you get x% off. (We’d have to negotiate for it).

As a member of the National Museum of Nuclear Science and History, I have that privilege. In their welcoming letter, they also sent me an invitation to join the Sandia Laboratory Federal Credit Union.

We could work to get the Focus Fusion Society to be part of this network, and offer our members these perks. It’s a good synergistic move.

Costs to our organization
    We’d have to take the time to negotiate these deals, make sure it all checks out legally, there’s probably some reporting and tax filing issues that will come up and need to be maintained. And we’d have to send out formal membership packets to members, with a card and that sort of thing. In other words, we’d need staff and money to handle this.

Rezwan
    Participant

Another privilege idea:

Access to journal articles
    As you know when trying to access academic journals online, there is often a fee associated with them. Most institutions provide these materials to their students, faculty, members and alumni. We could negotiate to likewise offer access.

We may have to pay for this, we may get it as a donation from them that we turn around and use to encourage people to donate to us.

Looking at About Physical Review Letters, we see

Features for Authors

* Free to Read – Authors or other parties may choose to pay a one-time fee to make chosen articles available to all readers at no cost and without a subscription.

As a society, we could approach several key publications and see if we could make articles available to our members with either a password, or what have you.

Something, again, which needs to be researched and negotiated.

There should be an app for this : )

Rezwan
    Participant

I like the suite of benefits offered by the Free Software Foundation: http://www.fsf.org/associate/benefits

I also like the way they explain them. Good copy:

Here are just some of the benefits of being an associate member of the Free Software Foundation…

Sustaining Support of FSF (aka “warm inner glow”)

You can proudly proclaim that you are helping FSF carry out its mission to promote and preserve software freedom.

And at the bottom, they point out the tax deduction/swag cost offset issue, and also note that members are nonvoting:

Tax deduction in the USA

FSF is a 501(c)(3) charity in the USA, and therefore your membership dues are tax-deductible in the USA. The estimated value of the membership benefit items is $10. Therefore, the full amount of your dues, minus $10, is a tax-deductible contribution to the FSF.

Associate Members are non-voting members of the Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Breakable
    Keymaster

I would suggest to leave it as light as possible ATM (non-voting), as the resources are sparse.
    And proudly proclaiming “being an associate member of FFS” seems really good benefit :D.
    While I would love to have a say what FFS should do, its is better that resources are allocated for higher priority purpose
    and at the moment I am really happy how well informal feedback is accepted.

One thing might be a good idea is to have some sort of membership accessory as a conversation starter.
    It could be a plastic membership card, key-chain, amulet or some apparel item (hat, t-shirt).
    I would not even mind paying for it myself as it could help spread awareness.
    I bought a few clothing items some time before, but they seemed not usable enough for my climate to wear in the public.

Brian H
    Participant

You gave me a moment of goofy imagery: a membership ring or pendant with stylized electrodes that blinks its alpha beam on and off. 🙂 😉

A jacket, with back logo, “Focus on the Future with Fusion: Focus Fusion”

:coolsmile:

jamesr
    Participant

Do you know what the situation is for non US citizens/taxpayers? It would be good to try to appeal as globally as possible. How can membership benefits be applied universally?

As a UK taxpayer (as I understand it), any donations I give to foreign (non EU) charities are not tax deductible. Also shipping costs of any swag will be higher, and so discourage sending any donated stuff to everyone, regardless of where they may be.

Rezwan
    Participant

“offer void where prohibited”? Or “prohibitive”?

e-swag.

Yes, consult your tax attorney.

MTd2
    Participant

I am thinking on donating, although a taxation of 100% makes it hard for me. I’d like to donate, but 30 dollars is too expensive…

MTd2
    Participant

I changed my mind. I will become a member of FFS this weekend!!!!

Breakable
    Keymaster

Welcome, welcome. I really wonder who are the members here on the forum. Anyone wants to do some proclaiming? 😉

Francisl
    Participant

If you go to the top of the page and click on the Member List you will see all the members. If you go to the Forum Home page and scroll to the bottom of the page you can see who is currently logged in.

Breakable
    Keymaster

I am not sure if you got me, I meant FFS members. While we are all members of this forum, only some of use choose to contribute to FFS financially.

Francisl
    Participant

Rezwan wrote: Another privilege idea:

Access to journal articles
    As you know when trying to access academic journals online, there is often a fee associated with them. Most institutions provide these materials to their students, faculty, members and alumni. We could negotiate to likewise offer access.

We may have to pay for this, we may get it as a donation from them that we turn around and use to encourage people to donate to us.

Looking at About Physical Review Letters, we see

Features for Authors

* Free to Read – Authors or other parties may choose to pay a one-time fee to make chosen articles available to all readers at no cost and without a subscription.

As a society, we could approach several key publications and see if we could make articles available to our members with either a password, or what have you.

Something, again, which needs to be researched and negotiated.

There should be an app for this : )

I like this idea. A lot of these articles cost $30 or more.

MTd2
    Participant

I JUST DONATED! I AM A MEMBER NOW!

The donation was done by using my wife`s credit card. (She authorized me, LOL)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.